Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of trellis for potato vine?

Posted by jdrobison SoCal (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 20:45

Hi,

We're building a trellis to create a green wall using potato vine (Solanum Laxum). Will the vine grow up a fence or wall on its own or does it need something like wire mesh to cling to? And if it's needs a wire mesh, how small should the wire be and how far apart can the spacing of the grid be?

I don't know much about vines but I've seen some that are capable of "sticking" to a wall or fence. I've seen others that will wrap themselves around the trellis wood (I'm thinking of that basket-weave kind of trellis you can buy in sections at Home Depot) and then I've seen others that need something more like cable wire or wire mesh to grab onto. What does the potato vine grow best on?

Thanks,

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of trellis for potato vine?

S laxum and is also known as Solanum jasminoides 'Album'. It cannot cling to walls by itself. It climbs by twining its leaf petioles around whatever it can find. A trellis, wire mesh or wires would do. I have seen it described as jasmine scented but mine has no scent at all. Be aware that all parts are poisonous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here