Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariposatraicionera

Blythe on Honeysuckle?

What do you use to help contain this? My honeysuckle plant did great for the first 2 years and seems to have a blythe now.

I want to cut it back, but what do you recommend to help destroy the blythe please?

Comments (6)

• julia
    15 years ago

If you have a picture of the diseased part of the honeysuckle, it may help. What kind of honeysuckle is it? If it is our native Lonicera sempervirens, you can join a large club of those frustrated by aphids, powdery mildew, and other foliar diseases or leaf blights this time of the year.

• User
    15 years ago

I spray my native honeysuckle with rose spray early in the morning, and don't forget under the leaves.
    I tried the hose method, but it's getting so big, I just spray it now.
    It is pretty, and the hummers love it, so I tell myself it is worth all the nonsense.
    LOL
    Good Luck!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know the type of Honeysuckle. We got it a few years ago from a nursery. Will try the spray. I cut back a lot of the bad branches that got very woody. The leaves got blackish and yellow.

• julia
    15 years ago

I do not agree with the suggestion that you spray for an unknown disease. Rose spray is somewhat or very toxic to butterflies, hummingbirds, and other beneficial insects. It should only be used if other methods have failed and if it is known to work for that specific problem. Spraying fungicides or insecticides on honeysuckle is generally believed to be useless. The fungal disease is spread by aphids; the aphids are being farmed (or ranched if you prefer) by ants. I suppose you could drench the garden with fungicides and insecticides to kill everything contributing to your problem. And then spray again in a few weeks when it recurs.

Instead, I suggest you Google Lonicera leaf diseases and check out the photos for one that matches your problem. Prune to improve air circulation, remove any diseased leaves on the vines or on the ground, and change the mulch under the plant. Sounds like you have already started this process. Bacterial leaf diseases can often be cured by spraying with a baking soda solution which changes the ph of the leaf surfaces; Google Cornell spray (invented for rose diseases). Aphids can be chased off with the garden hose or killed off by beneficial insects. And ant traps are available that are nature friendly. Foliar diseases on honeysuckles are seldom fatal and usually clear up if you change the environment and God changes the weather.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Julia, thanks for your suggestions. The lady at the nursery had told me to use a spray. I wonder why she didn't give other suggestions as well? I don't like insectides to be honest. Where do I put the ant traps?

• julia
    15 years ago

Try HotShot MaxAttax Ant Baits. They are okay for outdoor use and safe for pets/children. Secure them with a landscape staple or use a piece of cannibalized coat hanger. Cover with light mulch. You can find these at most big box stores and they are cheap. Other brands probably do as well.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus