Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Is this nightshade? pics

kentstar
12 years ago

Is this what they call Bittersweet Nightshade? And, if so how poisonous is it or how dangerous? It's growing within my evergreen hedges and is WAY too close to my flower beds!

If not, then what is it? How do I irradicate this vine?

It is growing tall, about 10 ft tall so far--

Comments (3)

• lisanti07028
    12 years ago

Yes, it is. I have it in a couple of places in my yard; I cut it back when I see it, but it's not a rampant grower, at least here, although it is deeply rooted. You should do a web search, but my remembrance, from when I first noticed it, is that it will make you sick if you eat the berries. I have not found it to give me a rash or any kind of topical trouble. The birds like the berries, but it's not native, so it's not the primary food for robins or anything like that. It's binomial is Solanum dulcamara, so you can look it up under that name, as the nightshade family is huge.
    I would guess that it could be invasive under the right conditions, but you can get rid of it with a little work. Obviously, if you have a child in the put-everything-in-my-mouth phase, get rid of it before the berries form.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

It is also poisonous to animals, dogs in particular. I've linked a fact sheet that will tell you how to get rid of it. I've had a tiny bit growing on my property. I just cut it at the ground once a month or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: European Bittersweet Fact Sheet

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

That stuff can become rampant if it decides to. It will sneak up on you suddenly one spring in the form of tons of seedlings. I'm one of those unfortunates who get a rash from handling it. It's not that determined. If you are dedicated to pulling it when you see it, you should win the battle.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012