Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indoor Climbing Ivy or vine?

Posted by pedudek PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 21:10

I would like to grow a "climbing" ivy or other vine indoors. I have an interior wall that is approximately 20 feet high Any suggestions? I thought of a Boston Ivy, because they adhere themselves directly to the wall, but will this ruin the drywall over time? Is there anything else, possibly something that flowers, that would adhere to the wall easily? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indoor Climbing Ivy or vine?

You don't want anything that will adhere to the wall. That would be ruinous. I suggest that you construct an attractive lattice so that you can grow something which will climb that way, rather than with permanent little suction cups! YIKES.

You may get some good ideas in the Houseplant Forum, for vines that will grow well inside. What is the sunlight situation?

o
RE: Indoor Climbing Ivy or vine?

I agree that it would be disasterous to have anything clinging to dry wall (plasterboard) directly. If your walls were all stone, concrete, cinderblock, or brick, that would be different.

Some of the most popular "indoor" vines are pothos (which can cling to those bark-covered wood stakes and philodendron (eg., split leaf philos) that can similarly be trained against that type of support and can cling with aerial roots. These are common tropical understory plants that are adaptable to the low light and lower humidity of a typical indoors environment. The problem with plants like ivies indoors for climbing purposes is that they need alot of humidity around them and on any surface that they might be clinging to, which is do-able if they are in a hanging pot but more difficult if they are climbing up high in a house. and may need to be tied to the support. A pothos seems to be a bit more able to handle dry air than ivy (perhaps because it perhaps evolved in areas with distinct rainy/dry seasons).

Other possible common indoors hangers/climbers would be hoyas. There are dozens of species and if given a support, they will go travelling (they are twiners)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here