Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron_convolvulaceae

Transplanting Morning Glories - Forget the Myth (!) it's Easy

ron_convolvulaceae
11 years ago

There is a Big Myth that states that Morning Glories do not transplant well or easily and I hope to offset that Myth.

Those of us who transplant Morning Glories(Ipomoea and other genera within Convolvulaceae) very frequently already know that MG's transplant easily because we do it all of the time.

The Myth about difficulty transplanting Morning Glories seems to be based on a lack of following simple basic gardening procedures that most gardeners already know which include the following:

Most Morning Glories will transplant fine without any problems whatsoever if you :

1) water the plants very well for several days before you transplant

2) try to maintain root integrity by not ripping any of the roots

3) water generously (!) to keep the soil moist for at least several days after you transplant...misting may help to maintain a humid atmosphere...

4) protect the plants from full direct sunlight by shielding the plants with a muslin or burlap sunblock or gradually re-introduce into full sun.

5) Do NOT fertilize the plant for at least several weeks before or after transplanting, although some of the products to lessen transplant / root shock may be used sparingly

I have transplanted a very large number of various MG's ,from seedlings to full grown plants (un-entwined and re-entwined onto fences) throughout my lifetime and have always had great success at transplanting by following the 5 easy guidelines offered above...no hype, just basics that produce good results...

TTY,...

Ron

P.S. - There is no precise time period to protect transplants from full direct sunlight after transplanting , but gauged more based upon individual plant response and some experience...although as long as the new transplant is getting strong indirect sunlight,it would be best to err on the side of caution and take a bit more time to re-introduce the transplant into direct sunlight.

The amount of time that it would take for a plant to experience negative affects from too little sun is significantly longer than the short amount of time to exacerbate any potential transplant shock and / or to recover from any shock ...

The gradual re-introduction of a new transplant to full sunlight doesn't usually take more than 1 week and often less if the roots are not damaged and if the relative humidity is maintained...

Comments (9)

• chocolateis2b8
    11 years ago

LMAO, how true you are.

Another myth that I'm going to prove false also goes along with this post.

My outdoor patio area is actually part of the driveway that goes into what use to be the attached garage but is now redone into what I call the rec room.

Since it's blacktop, I've had to be very inventive to make it look like a patio area and one thing I've had to do is a lot of container gardening.

Another myth is that MG's don't grow well in containers. But for 25 years I have had them in container on each side of the rec room door and then trained to frame the windows on each side of the door.

So where this fits in with the post. MG's self seed for me too well, I don't buy seeds anymore, and I always end up with tons of seedlings in the pots.

This year I was thinning out the seedlings, leaving the ones in the back to vine up and frame my windows, but pulling out the ones up front that were taking over the self seeded marigolds in the same pots (the are large pots, need a front planting).

The soil in the pots is loose and the MG seedlings came out all roots attached.

Something in me couldn't bear to just throw them on the compost heap and I had a shallow salad bar container with dirt in it. I just laid the whole handful down and covered up the roots and left them until I could figure out what to do with them.

A week later my sister visited, the MG's were still healthy and she took the whole lot home.

Now she has MG's on her porch.

This is a pic from last year, my potted MG vines this year are only up the one side, but growing fast. Plus my containers are differnt this year, that's the nice thing about containers, you can change them.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

chocolateis2b8 - Thank you for sharing your experience with transplanting what looks to be Ipomoea purpurea Morning Glories.

The Japanese who have been growing Morning Glories for ornamental purposes for many centuries and call them by the Romaji name of Asagao.

The Japanese usually grow all of their show quality asagao in very small containers which in which they use the centuries old nutrient supplements.

There are many different species of of plants in the Family of Convolvulacea , which are generally known as Morning Glories and although many of the more common species have similar growing requirements , there are many species which have very different growing requirements than the common garden varieties.

I certainly do welcome people sharing from their experience and / or asking questions , although I would like to gently remind members gardeners (in the interest of generalized order) to please keep the main focus of this particular thread on transplanting, otherwise (especially as the thread gets longer) too many different aspects can become muddled together and the result can become less focused and a bit too too chaotic.

Please start new threads on any aspect and if you specifically want me to answer then you can place my name in the title of the thread e.g., Ron, could you address this question or topic, and I will be glad to oblige.

Enjoy your Morning Glories (!)

• emmagrace2
    11 years ago

chocolateis2b8
    Pretty patio set up with your Morning Glories. Super idea too!

I too have had great luck transplanting my Morning Glories [which I do all the time] and I also do all that Ron recommends, which is all very important. I did move one Morning Glory that I was able to skip the step on shielding the plant because at the time, we were having rain every day for almost a week and when it wasn't raining it was over-cast, so I got lucky transplanting this one.

This MG was very well established and at least 6' long - but it HAD to be moved or ripped out. I cut the vine in half so I wouldn't drive the plant nuts with the untangling. Dug really deep for all of the roots and moved it directly to the new spot. Watered deep too even though I did this while it was raining lightly.

It bloomed the next day without missing a beat. The plant is about 4' now and as happy as can be in the new spot.

I must take a photo of the entire plant as well as the bloom to show you why I didn't want to rip it out where it was previously growing because I didn't want it mixing up with the group it was growing with.

So, transplanting MGs can be done!

• katiesommer
    11 years ago

Very pretty patio, Chocolate; I just love your MG vines. The leaves are so pretty.

Question, these are twiners, right? No suckers on the vines? (I don't know really anything about MGs, sorry.)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Agreed, love your patio, chocolatesis!

I also transplant MG's. After a bad experience with 'volunteer MG's' that turned out to be a horrible weed, I never let anything that looks like a MG grow unless I know I bought the seeds and sprouted them in a pot, then transplanted to garden.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

katiesommer - Please consider the following regarding your GW membership :

Consider enabling the GardenWeb members to send you a private message email...via the GardenWeb...you can do this by:

1) logging in and scrolling to the bottom of the page where is says "Member services"
    http://members.gardenweb.com/members/

2) Edit Your Membership Details
    Going into your profile and scroll to near the bottom of the page and place a check in the box that states:

a) Show my email address to: (in drop down menu) > Member
    b) check the box in front of "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site."

*You might also consider adding in your USDA zone in section 4 from the top of the page where it says "Garden Zone" and you can add in your climate zone

Then , after you are done updating your display features look near the bottom of the page and click onto the gold tab that says "Save your Member profile"

Your question is of a generalized and therefore somewhat 'off-topic' (which I would have preferred to answer in a separate thread or via private message) but being a relatively new member I will extend the courtesy of posting an the answer here.

Morning Glories are twining climbing vines which require some other structure (twine, stakes, branches, etc., to twine their entire stems around in order to climb.

Morning Glories do NOT produce the type of specialized tendrils of clinging vines (e.g., Cucurbitaceae) with or without adhering discs or aerial roots which enable other types of vines (Parthenocissus spp , Hedera spp ) to self-attach to a solid wall or structure of any material.

Morning Glories do NOT produce the type of bio-chemicals excreted by the adhering discs or aerial roots of clinging vines cited in the paragraph above which will eventually damage the mortar between bricks and cause disintegration of wood.

The fact that any MG or other plant comes from a commercial source is no guarantee that it is as labeled and in fact it is often the case that commercial sources do not know how to properly identify species including MG's.

You want to be sure of what you got in any packet (?)...then post the seedlings and young plants on one of the forums where people with an established (long term) reputation for accurate identification can ID what you have growing...

Enjoy your Morning Glories (!)

P.S. - Please click onto my member name and send me a private message if you have MG related questions that may be off-topic and you are unsure of where or how to post them in the appropriate thread.

• waldok7810
    8 years ago

i love my mg but it has got out of control on my porch when can I transplant it I live in Michigan. I was told it will blossom not sure when can you help

• HU-572241301
    3 years ago

Well I screwed up right off the bat. I pinched mine at new streamers. Sno root. Is there a way to save them? I love my morning glories and we are moving today.o

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor