Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Odd MG ID?

karyn1
13 years ago

This MG (1st 3 pics) has odd blooms. Does it have a name? It's almost like a hige variety but the cup isn't split. The last pic I just thought was pretty. It's such a dark blue that it's almost black. I'm not sure of the name of that one either. These were seeds collected from my plants last season just marked mixed seeds.

{{gwi:508270}}

{{gwi:508273}}

Comments (8)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

Hi Karyn,

The 2 top photos show what may be referred to as a fringed since the main corolla petals are not split or doubled but sport the little fringes on the outside of the bloom.

The 3rd photo seems to have a touch of a lighter blue edge and this trait is showing up with increasing prevalence in Ipomoea purpurea...

The last one looks like a dark Star of Yelta (nice photo) although it would be difficult to say exactly what shade of color it would look like when fully opened for awhile...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The 3rd pic is the same bloom as the 1st. The dark bloom is the same color fully opened. I might not dislike Star of Yelta so much if they all looked like that. Then again I probably would because it reseeds so damn much. I planted it several years ago and now pull up at least a big trash bag full every spring.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I should have added that many, if not most of my MG blooms are only lasting a couple hours once open. Maybe because it's been so hot here, mid 90's. It feels more like Aug. then June.

• emmagrace2
    13 years ago

Hi Karyn,

Wow! Your Morning Glory is awesome!
    I would love to see a fully opened bloom of this one. Very interesting and lovely Morning Glory

Emma

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

Karyn - I too would like to see what your dark Star of Yelta looks like fully open in bright sunlight...
    hopefully it is a nice and dark velvety purple like the partially opened bloom you posted above and you'll tag some pods for posterity...

TTY,...

Ron

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did tag that bloom. I hope the others on that vine are the same color. It had more of a blue tint then the other dark ones I've seen that were more purple.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More blooms opened and they are just as dark. I took pics but won't be able to post until after the 4th as I'm out of town. I just hope that my plants are still alive when I get back. Temps are sstill in the upper 90's to over 100. The kid that takes care of my pets while I'm away also waters the container plants but there's so many containers that she doesn't always get all of them and in this heat they need daily watering.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got back from the beach and am not seeing any more super dark blooms but I did tag the dark ones I saw before going on vacation and hope the pods mature.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus