Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajfan

Goldflame Honeysuckle

ajfan
17 years ago

Just found what I think is the perfect vine to grow on our newly installed arbour. It's a Goldflame Honeysuckle which I have no experience with. I'm impressed with the flowers but now have learned that it will have berries in the fall...so that's great. I'm wondering now if I need a male and female...to produce berries? So far I haven't been able to find this information, anybody here know about this? Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Lonicera x heckrotti isn't diocious (sexed). But you would need to have pollination take place in order to get berries (hummingbirds like this one). I've grown it in the past and never got berries but that doesn't mean that it won't produce them.

The main problem I had with it was that it can be prone to powdery mildew and hopefully you won't have that problem where you are.

• queencrimson
    16 years ago

I love mine, this is the third spring and it's finally growing well. The first year was plagued with a mildew on the leaves, and now suddenly it's leave are yellowed and spotted. I assumed at first it was the fungus again, but upon closer inspection saw there are 1/8 inch wide "trails" through the leaves, as if some kind of insect has tunneled through them. But when I looked on the backside of the leaves there's no evidence of the trails.
    Anyone have a clue what kind of bug would do this and what to do to control them?

• whatahoot61_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

My goldflame honeysuckle has bloomed beautifully for three years. But this year I am getting black on the ends of the new shoots with no new flowers. Some of the flowers have begun to bloom and then withered and turned black. When I touch the black ends, they come right off the vine like powder. Any ideas?

• njmomma
    12 years ago

mine is in its' second year and it's growing well but is so fussy! If it's a bit too rainy or too hot in spring it doesn't bloom. I like the leaves enough to keep it for now but if it doesn't shape up it's going to ship out.
    Last year it lost all its' leaves, turned yellow and fell off, in mid summer and then got some back. Looked awful. We'll see if it doesn it this year too.

• ajfan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow...by reading this I see by Honeysuckle is now 5 yrs old, what I can't remember this year is whether to cut it back or not...can't even recall what I did with it last year. For now it's started putting leaves out so I guess I'll just leave it? I had planted two, one on each side of the arbour, one died (not enough sun I think) but the other one is almost started to trail down the opposite side of the arbour so I'm happy with it. If only I could remember when to cut it back? Can anybody help?

• steve1young
    12 years ago

I have two that are in their 5th year and they've gotten progressively better. One of them is on a trellis and gets full sun from Noon onwards. The other is climbing up wires along a fence and gets sun from sunrise until about 5pm. That one is really HUGE!

They're both pretty happy as long as I don't look TOOOOOO closely. lol Yes, they both have a tendency towards powdery wildew and the one along the fence gets a fair amount of aphids, but overall they're doing well. They bloom almost constantly from late April until early Novemeber with the biggest flushes being in June and September.

Neither one is noticably fragrant unless you walk by them at night and even then the scent is subtle. And, I haven't been gifted with berries yet.

I find that pruning has to be times very carefully. For instance, if I prune anytime other than March or early April then they get weak new growth that's very susceptible to aphids. HATE that. So, I try to prune when the new growth is just starting to show on the stems and I have to admit that it always feels too early in that everything else is still quite dormant, but I do it anyhow.

As I mentioned, the big one on the fence runs along wires that are attached to the ends of 12" bolts that are then screwed into a blockade-style wooden fence. The bolts are only screwed in about three inches so that the wires are kept about nine inches from the fence itself. I figured that would help with air circulation.

I hope that helps a bit.

Best of luck!