Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question on potted wisteria on balcony

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 22:39

I have Wisteria in a in large pot, on my 4th floor balcony which faces West and has no obstruction near the balcony (so it can get very windy). I only learned recently that being on an elevated balcony creates a different environment for plants, versus say the same potted plants sitting on the ground.

In any case, here in the Northeast we had a cold winter and lots of snow. So I'm not sure how much this affected my plants.

Last year the wisteria did well. The Wisteria grew like a weed.

This year is different. The Wisteria essentially appeared 'dead' (and mind you, I did follow pruning directions throughout the year) but then just a few weeks ago a 'sucker' of sorts appeared from inside the pot...where the branches all tend to coil up. The stems emerging from the pot (from last year) have zero new growth, but the sucker from within the pot is already taking off. Will this sucker become a new plant so to speak? Should I totally cut down the other 'dead' stems from last year and which have no growth?

So, what do you suggest I do to help my Wisteria thrive again?

P.S. I've learned that even though these plants are hardy for my zone, that the fact that they are on a balcony means they need protection during the winter. So I will protect them better next winter with burlap, bubble wrap, leaves etc.

Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question on potted wisteria on balcony

I would imagine you will have a thriving vine in no time. Now...Wisteria produces Nitrogen in it's roots. So low N when fertilizing will allow for more flowers than foliage. I have a wisteria bonsai. Wisteria is beautiful in bloom.

o

I would imagine you will have a thriving vine in no time. Now...Wisteria produces Nitrogen in it's roots. So low N when fertilizing will allow for more flowers than foliage. I have a wisteria bonsai. Wisteria is beautiful in bloom.

o

Wow..that's nice! Yes, I find that once Wisteria gets going there's no stopping it. My little 'sucker' is getting bigger by the hour. ;-) I called the place where I bought the plant to ask about it, and they said Wisteria CAN work in pots...even though another expert here told me Wisteria can only work in the ground.

o

The person that told you that they can be grown in pots has mislead you.....
You can grow them in pots to a point, inwhich the roots will quickly fill your container and become root bound....if you do not repot in a larger container, your wisteria will stop growing and eventually stop flowering.....it will come to the point, where you will need too big of a container to support the rapid growth of your wisteria......

o

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. I know another person here grows it as a bonsai which I understand is a very different process hence their ability to keep it in a pot.

But my desire is very different and indeed in just one year I had a whole set of concentric circles of roots going all around the inside of the pot at the soil line. So....guess I'll be giving this plant to my brother with the yard. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here