Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jasmine at Wal-Mart (Questions)

Posted by moonwolf 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 22:51

Hi everyone,

The local Wal-Mart has large pots of jasmine for sale. The trouble is I don't know if it's a true jasmine or if it's stephanotis. When I was there before, the flowers had faded to pink and didn't have any scent. Tonight, when I was there, it had white flowers. I picked up a flower that had broken off and it was very fragrant! Was this jasmine I saw or stephanotis? Has anyone else seen these at their Wal-Mart? The only jasmine I seen that would be potentially hardy enough to my zone would be poet's jasmine. Anybody out there successfully grow jasmine in zone 6?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jasmine at Wal-Mart (Questions)

It was probably a jasmine of some type. Maybe Jasminum polyanthum. Stephanotis blooms don't turn pink. Stephanotis foliage is thick, rigid and shiny. The flowers are thick as well. It looks kind of like a type hoya foliage (I don't remember which one). Most jasmines are easy to care for and easy to get to bloom. Not so much a stephanotis. Both smell wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful: stephanotis

o

Hi Karyn,

I do think it was a jasmine that I did see. Is polyanthum the only jasmine that the flowers turn pink? If I had room for it, I would buy it, but I don't.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Hi Brad,
I got some Jasmine from wal mart, called Jasmine polyanthum, aka Winter Jasmine.

The buds look pink, but the flowers are more of a white color.

Very fragrant!

JoJo

o

I purchased two Jasmine at Lowes several years ago and neither survived the winter here in Tenn Zone 7. Make sure it is labled for your zone is about all I can recommend.

o

When I was there again yesterday, I read on the tag that it is not cold hardy. I was there again today and the bud that was opening was pure white. I do not have the room to grow it inside or outside for that matter. It's growth is more vinelike than shrublike. They are not on supports and are in one gallon pots.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here