Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boston Ivy vs. Virginia Creeper????

Posted by matersingarden (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 23:13

I have a new wood (solid) fence which is 20+ feet long, that is calling for a vine. I'm thinking of either Virginia Creeper or Boston Ivy. What is the best for summer and fall both? They are so close but are so different. Does Boston Ivy fill in more complete?
Which one do I choose?????????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boston Ivy vs. Virginia Creeper????

Virginia Creeper is invasive, and the roots will crawl just underground. Don't think it will behave nicely and stick to just the fence.

o

I have 120 square feet of fenced back yard which needed to be covered quickly because of a neighbouring swimming pool. I decided to use Virginia creeper.This stuff grows like wildfire and covered the fence beautifully.Unfortunately it has become a bit of a rogue and wants to travel even further along the ground and into my flower beds.I am continually ripping it up,and also thinning it out on top.It is VERY vigorous so be careful if you plan to use this as a cover. I am sure my neighbours hate me because of this vine.I may be moving soon,and the poor people who inherit this will hate me too.

o

I have no idea which type I have, but it seems really hardy and has covered an area I didn't know what to plant in. Now I am getting scared because it's up the tree and on the fence and covered the ground well, but maybe it's too much of a good thing?

Are ALL Ivy plants like that?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here