Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black rot in grapes

Posted by toppentech.com none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 23:15

has anyone ever tried to use coloidal silver on bvlack rot instead of things like captan??? i make my own and i intend on spraying leaves with silver and a surfactant probably once a week . has anyone ever tried this ??? thanks mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black rot in grapes

Black Rot is a fungal infection. Silver has not been shown to be effective against fungi (or very many other things for that matter). I would worry about ingesting the silver (because it will get onto the tiny grapes) and whatever other compounds are associated with it.

Copper is the usual control for fungal diseases. It is about the only thing organic growers could use, but they may have other agents nowadays.

I cut down some of the grapes I had because they were so susceptible to BR fungus. I have since learned that sanitation of the grape area and choosing the right variety are the biggest weapons against BR. In other words, make sure all the mummy grapes and leaves are raked out and mowed over in the fall. The fungus overwinters on them.

Finally, if you have to use a massive assault to prevent your vines from defoliating or getting those ugly brown windows in them, look around for a list of grape varietals that will do better in your climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here