Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
criticalmass048

I'm being held hostage!

criticalmass048
11 years ago

My wife and I have been terrorized by this... thing... for many years. It never occurred to me to ask for help here.

I don't know if what we have is a weed, a vine, an ivy, or a combination of the three. Basically, it's a very thin spaghetti-like thing that not only criss-crosses across the ground, but when it finds a plant or bush, like an azalea, rhododendron, and other things that only my wife can identify, it will wrap itself around the plant like a boa constrictor. It sprouts pretty little trumpet-like flowers which seem to die at night. This thing has not only somehow traveled from the front yard to the back, but it doesn't seem to affect the neighbors at all.

Now we DO also have some form of ivy growing as well. While I don't know a darned thing about gardening, it's been my theory that this vine and the ivy are related.

Yes, weed killer will work on it, however, due to the fact that it wraps itself around good plants, you have to be careful where you spray. I read a tip in a magazine that suggested filling a tube (like that you'd get included with a single rose to hold water) with weed killer, stick it in the ground, and put the end of the vine into it. This, however, doesn't get back to the root; it only kills about a foot of it.

I don't really care what it's called, I just want to know how to rid myself of it completely. Please see the attached picture. Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus