Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re: trellis (not?) for honeysuckle

Posted by sarosen USDA 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 0:10

I have a honeysuckle vine that I am wanting to grow up about
6-7 feet (vertically) and then spread out horizontally onto a trellis that runs across the top of the (high) fence.
I had planted this vine some years back, and let two or three vines twist around themselves until it got up to 7 feet, and then let it spread out. Over the years (15 or so), these lower vines grew into each other, making a "trunk" about 2 inches in diameter. Winter before last, the whole thing up and died!! Last year, a few (hooray!!) vines re-emerged, and now they are ready to re-train. My question: Should I just do the same thing? Was letting it twine around itself part of why it died? The vines grew so thick (about 2 inches in diameter), I hesitate to train them onto an ordinatry trellis, as it would overwhelm the trellis. I was thinking of trying to training three vines to grow up in a sort of fan shape, but that would mean trying to force the vine to grow straight for the 6-7 feet, against its natural tendency to twist and twine. Thoughts? Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re: trellis (not?) for honeysuckle

They grow naturally by twining around each other and into nearby shrubs and trees as a support. Yours didn't really "die" if new vines sprouted from the roots, although you apparently lost the top. There may have been borers or something else that got into the main trunks.

You could try training them as a fan by perhaps making temporary supports (of wood) that can eventually be removed once they vines are strong enough to stand on their own. If you don't want them to twine around the support for the initial height you want, tie them so they lay straight.

o
RE: Re: trellis (not?) for honeysuckle

I am totally new to all this and wonder just how to train a honeysuckle. I have it in a large pot on our deck with a 7' fan trellis in the pot and against a wall of our house. I think my main question is, can I just cut vines at random until I have only the ones I wish to climb the trellis left? Also, once it reaches the height and shape I want which shouldn't take very long the way it is growing...can I just keep topping it off? Also, can the same be done with Clematis?
Thanks much for your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here