Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasminehearted

A good container vine that fills in quick. Sweetpea?

jasminehearted
11 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners,

I'm looking for a vine that I can plant in a container that will fill in the inside of a fence relatively quick. I know it's late in the season, so I either need an evergreen or something to plant in the spring. I currently have a small jasmine vine ( it's about 10 years old, just bought it, very long but not very full). in a container and I'd like something that grows much more quickly to fill in some volume.

I'd love to plant some sweatpea, but I don't know how well it will share the trellis with the jasmine or how fast it grows, or how it does in the balmy zone 8. It would have it's own container.

The plant just needs to be manageable enough to keep it mostly on my side of the fence. It would be amazing to have a perennial, but i know one day the jasmine will fill in so I'm game to try anything I can keep alive and that can fill in within a season. I hear the sweetpea dies in the heat - would I have a hideous husk by summer? Could I then re-plant the pot with a summer annual like mandevilla? I took a picture of the spot I'd like to fill in. It gets plenty of sun morning and afternoon.

I'm new to everything gardening, so sorry for the blather, but I want to learn!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville