Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

How to hand pollinate Morning Glories?

littleonefb
15 years ago

Ron,

Could you tell me if the following idea is a good one or if you think it is a waster of time.

Since the Japanese MG produce so few seeds, I wonder what you think of this idea to attempt to pollinate some of the flowers and possibly increase the number of seeds.

A friend and I thought about buying at least 50 really cheap kids paint brushes. labeling each paint brush with the name of the MG that we are growing and store each one in it's own ziploc baggie.

then as we have at least 2 blooms at a time on a vine, very carefully moving pollen from one flower to another on the same vine to try a force some pollination to potentially increase the number of pods. By doing that hopefully increase the number of seeds as well.

We would only do this with a few of the flowers and let nature take it's course with the rest.

We would also be extremely careful that we used the correct labeled paint brush and store it in it's correct ziploc baggie as well.

do you think it has a chance of increasing the seed yield or do you think it is just a waste of time?

Thanks for the help and your thoughts on the attempts to pollinate and increase the seed yield.

Fran

Comments (8)

• emmagrace2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ron . . .

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS WONDERFUL INFORMATION.
    Much of this I have forgotten about and this is great to refresh my memory.

I hope everyone else that uses your information on how to hand pollinate MGs will appreciate all of your hard work in helping us all 'learn'.

Emma

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ron,
    Sorry I haven't posted to thank you for all the information. I posted 2 days before I had major spinal surgery and it is a long slow process to recover from.

I've printed out all the information to have, but at the rate the weather had been going around here, it doesn't matter that I am not getting around as well as I would like.

All we've had is rain, rain, and more rain, severe thunderstorms, hail and downpours that resemble more the tropical rain forest than a summer day in New England.

One thing I've learned is that morning glory vines like some water, but they sure don't like receiving over 12 inches of rain in about 4-6 weeks and rain on them every single day.

Not only have most of my MG not bloomed but they have not had any huge growth either. Even the most common MG, heavenly blue, flying saucer and the real blue star are not happy vines out there, but they have bloomed some.

What has bloomed is one flower at a time, except for the heavenly blue, which is 2 or 3 at a time, sydney which is 4 or 5 at a time and blue star which is 2 at a time.

The only prize bloomer is thanks to you Emma. So glad to see you posting here again. Your beautiful "emma's gift" aka aomaraski MG seeds you traded with me a long time ago have millions of grandchildren blooming all over the country from seeds that I've traded to other members.
    That MG is a no fail bloomer and just keeps going and going in blooms till the frost totally does it in, sometime in late fall.

Ron, I don't know if I will end up trying to pollinate any MG this year, I have to have more than one flower on the vine to do it, and so far not any luck with the ones I wanted to pollinate.

Will let you know if I get an opportunity to do so and what the results are.

Thanks again for the info

Fran

• emmagrace2
    15 years ago

Hi Fran -

It has been a very long time hasn't it!
    And you are very welcome for the Purple-Flaked Shibori Seeds. I still love that Morning Glory. You would for sure also like another that I grow every year: Jamie Lynn Ipomoea purpurea. A beautiful White with a Pale Pink Halo.
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/162148/

Sorry to hear about your surgery. Ouch!
    Hope your recovery is fast and you are back to your gardening very soon.

Take care of yourself . . .

Emma

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Emma,
    Speaking of the devil, I have your jamie lynn seeds and how ironic that you mention it and I see your post today. Something is going on cause first thing I saw this morning was my first blooms of jamie lynn !!!!!!!!!!
    Smaller flower than I expected, but beautiful all the same.

here she is in all her glory this morning

{{gwi:424860}}
    {{gwi:424859}}
    {{gwi:424858}}
    I've posted pics on WS forum of my blooming MG.

here's the link

Here is a link that might be useful: blooming MG

• emmagrace2
    15 years ago

Fran -

BEAUTIFUL PHOTO &

a BEAUTIFUL MORNING GLORY. . .

One of my all time favorites.

Emma

• suseart
    15 years ago

What a lot of great info, thanks from me too, Ron! Wow, I have bookmarked that link, it is very valuable.

thanx,
    ~Susan

• Patricia Dumas
    4 years ago

Hi Ron! My age old, burning question-- in order to get Heavenly Blue Morning Glories to reseed true to the hybrid, does one self pollinate them? Or just grow Heavenly Blue and not other types of Morning Glories? Thank you... Pat, in NJ

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH