Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crossvine is not growing and is chlorotic

Posted by Rochelle999 Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 7:11

Hello, My Bignonia capreolata (crossvine) has not grown at all this year only shooting out a few leaves. The newest leaves are chlorotic (pale yellow leaves with green veins). Last January I severely pruned it down to about 12 inches per stem. I have watered it at least 4-5 times/week & its root zone also receives water as it's next to the lawn (cause of chlorosis?). I have never fertilized it. Questions: I've read from a website that this plant has a "life expectancy" of around 8 years. Has anyone ever heard/experienced this? I read the purple passion vine has a left expectancy of only 3 to 5 years. This plant is 5 years old. I was thinking of moving it to a container this fall to control its watering. What do y'all think? Rochelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crossvine is not growing and is chlorotic

My first thought is that it needs iron. I live in San Angelo and I know you have not had a lot of rain and I would bet that you are watering with very "hard" water. Contact me sometime when you come this way and I will give you some 138FE. I have had my crossvine much longer than 8 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here