Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Gardener, Couple Questions on Morning Glories

Posted by AshleyG 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 7:23

I'm trying to create a privacy screen between me and my neighbor using the morning glory as it climbs up some twine. I currently have about 2 vines per twine. My question is, should it only be one vine per twine? Should I pinch some back? And does one vine spread out into many "reachers" creating new vines off of the original? I didn't want to pinch them back if the single vine wasn't going to spread out, but don't want them to tangle themselves either

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Gardener, Couple Questions on Morning Glories

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 7:58

I've not tried the twine before. Let us know how it goes. There can be some weight from the vine biomass so I hope it is sturdy twine.

o

I've had them planted for about 3 weeks now, they are doing great! Climbing up the twine just beautifully with little to no help from me. I will probably end up taming the "new grabbers" (I have no idea what you call them) that grow off any original vine, I am still scared they are going to end up waaaay to heavy.
I planted these before researching as much as I should have, I ended up using Miracle Grow Potting Mix (I have them in planters) before I knew about them not liking fertilizer. I can tell they probably won't bloom just because the leaves are SO big and I know it's from the fertilizer. I didn't expect much from them anyways since I was so late on planting, but as long as I have some large foilage to block out my neighbor, I'm good!

o

Guidance is necessary to prevent these from going straight up, if that's your goal. For example, when a vine reaches the top, you can guide it back down, or sideways at any time. If you pinch off the growth tip, side shoots will form. A tangle may bother you, but it won't bother the vines.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 12:47

Purpleinopp's advice is good.

I use Miracle Gro all the time to start my seedling transplant morning glories. I have never had an issue with the plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here