Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yipee!!, I have Heavenly Blues! :)

Posted by dena_eft 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 7:34

Finally, I have Heavenly Blues, but will the new seeds germinate next Spring? Out of 3 packs of seeds, two vines survived. I've had so much trouble with this MG. Do your seeds to this vine give your a hard time? Thanks for any feed back, Arum :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yipee!!, I have Heavenly Blues! :)

well my experience is that once you have any kind of morning glory even if just one vine survives to go to seed you will have them forever. Its good you love them!
Joann

o

Joann,
Thank you for your feed back. Yes, I love them so much I'm even growing the infamous "Noah" again this year. Although I ripped out the vine in full flower, a few seeds survived. Have you ever noticed the leaf to the Noah? So beautifully formed. Yes, I like all Mg's except for maybe Shiva. Do you grow MG"s? :)

o

Mine never come back. Zone 7a.

o

bogturtle, that's what I'm talking about. Some people say that this MG grows so easily, others not so. Next year I think I'm going to plant MY own personal seed,and then buy three more packs from the store and plant them. Last year they were so thick and healthy, but were hit with the frost before the blooms could open. I planted too late. Maybe next time I will get it right. :)

o

Dena - Good you have your Ipomoea tricolor blooming as others reported difficulties getting this species to grow this year...not sure exactly why...apparently not always the 'rampant' grower, depending on conditions...e.g., soil, light, rain , etc.,...

-----------------------------------
Generally :

Ipomoea tricolor , like most tropical Morning Glories very rarely have seeds that will survive repeated freezes and thaws...

The ONLY species sold commercially in stores or most catalogs that will reseed in colder zones is Ipomoea purpurea and the THOUSANDS of other species , which unfortunately are usually not available to those outside of the trading circuits , do not successfully self-sow in colder zones.

There are double forms of Ipomoea nil which produce few precious seeds.

There are many different species of Morning Glories which are NOT invasive and those people who really know the most about Morning Glories and have the most experience with the many different species will know that...

Extrapolating the behavior of a few onto the many is not accurate...

The highly bred large Japanese Asagao aren't found growing wild anywhere (!)...

Here is a great site devoted to Morning Glories:
http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/menu2.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Most Morning Glories are not invasive and will not successfully resow

This post was edited by ron_convolvulaceae on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 5:46

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 13:33

Good growing, Dena, show photos, please.

o

Wow, thanks to all your guys, for the feed back, and the good points from our MG expert Ron! Joseph I'm looking forward to your pics. this winter where we will dream of the next batch Of vines to plant come Spring. I'm hoping my Heavenly Blues will germinate, I may plant only those, and moonvine. The yard looks like a jungle, and I do have other interest that need attention. :) Arum, (Dena)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here