Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for Full Sun Area Needed

Posted by tarheelbelle 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 8:24

I'm looking for a vine or ground cover to plant inside a hollowed out stump. The stump is approx 3' in diameter and 3' high. This area is in full sun from around 11am until sundown. I would like something to cover the stump. Sweet Potato vines do well here but I'm hoping for something perennial. I had thought I would use a Sweet Autumn clematis, but I'm afraid it would get way too big for this area. The stump is in the middle of an iris bed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for Full Sun Area Needed

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 6:22

The lack of responses clearly indicates we are stumped by your situation. Hahahahaha

o

You might want to try one of the groundcover roses. They are supposed to cascade well and would probably work better than vines, which tend to wrap themselves around every other plant they can reach!

o

Thank you audrey. I hadn't thought of carpet roses. Is there a good source online for those? I haven't found any locally.
Sorry to "stump" everyone. lol

o

I think most vines would get too large for this area... as most vines were "designed" to reach and reach for light. The only thing I can think of is petunias, but they are annuals in your zone.

o

How about a smaller sized grass? It may come out of the stump like a fountain! Grasses come in a wide variety of heights.

Good luck!
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here