Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zahl_gw

Akebia Quinata - Powdery Mildew?

Zahl
9 years ago

Hi!

I recently bought two Akebia Quinata. They were in a pretty bad shape when i first got them, but now one of them is getting better fast. The thing is, the leafs on the second one is turning yellow/was yellow when i bought them and isn't getting better (both of them had yellowing and damaged leaves). Now I guess it could be nitrogen deficiency, so i fertilized. But then I noticed that the stem's coated with a white powdery substance. A quick google search tells me that it's powdery mildew. But it's characteristics seem a bit different.

First of, some of my accumulated info tells me that the vines can be affected. Can i assume that the leaves also have to be affected if it happens to be mildew or perhaps the mildew is in a early phase? It looks like only the new shoot is affected, as if the plant coats it's stem with some sort of white substance. I ask this question because the better looking one have a bit of white powder on the newly shot vines. But it really dosen't look like it's a problem for the better looking one. Wouldn't the old vines be affected as well if it were mildew?

I know Akebia Quinata is susceptible to powdery mildew, alas i have come here with my concerns. If it makes it easier, i can probably take some pictures of it, if that's even possible.

I have no idea what it could be, I've never had powdered mildew nor have i had an Akebia before, but my only hope is that it isn't mildew. I have a dense corner of plants, that I really don't want infected, but I don't want to throw the vines away, or deliver them back as they're really hard to come by around here.

Thanks in advance for any answers or solutions,

Chris

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!