Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleyg_gw

Morning Glory leaves

AshleyG
10 years ago

I had 2 packets of morning glory seeds. When I opened them, one packet had seeds that were drastically bigger than the other packet. I'm talking about 4 times the size difference. They were both the same, crimson rambler I believe. I was just wondering if these leaves look normally sized? This is my first year planting so I'm not sure what is normal and what's not. I planted them in mid June, not sure if they will have time to bloom and I planted them in pots using MIracle Grow Potting Mix, is that possibly another reason they are so big?

Comments (7)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

They look very healthy. The flower show will start soon. I can't help with your questions, I'm very sorry.

This post was edited by gerris2 on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 16:56

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

There may be a few Ipomoea purpurea in there , but most of those leaves look to be Ipomoea nil which tend to flower later than Ipomoea purpurea...

They look to be in relatively small or thin containers...wonder how much water they can hold onto (that cement can get hot and baking) and if the upper part of the 'trellis' is getting adequate sunlight...

The acquisition of any misidentified seeds contributes to myths about MG's because the person growing them doesn't really know what they have and are therefore somewhat working in the dark...

There will always be people who have grown improperly identified species = unknown species and then make all sorts of claims about being so experienced with the 'horrors' of MG's although most couldn't accurately ID even 1 species if their life depended on it and urban myths are created and perpetuated
    e.g., (MG lesson of the day) there are Calystegia and Convolvulus species which do NOT spread by underground rhizomes...(!)...
    So , not all Calystegia or Convolvulus species are 'bindweeds' but there are University Botany Department Heads that don't know that (!) , although they have 'professional' websites up to guide the ignorant 'amateur/ layperson '....

Make sure you get what you are supposed to get as per seeds ( try and be sure they actually know what they purport to know) and make sure you get an accurate ID by someone who really knows how to tell the difference between the plethora (i.e. thousands !) of different species...

Hope some of that helps...

regards,

Ron

10 years ago

You'll have flowers soon. Maybe the 3 pointed leaves are Scarlett O'Hara, you'll know once you see the flowers. I can't wait to see the flowers!

10 years ago

I personally love watching the leaves on morning glory varieties. They are a beautiful way to appreciate the plant while waiting for the flowers.

Look at the leaves on this one I'm growing this year.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

Joseph - You mentioned :

"They are a beautiful way to appreciate the plant while waiting for the flowers. "

Well, I couldn't have said it better myself (!)

• AshleyG
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree! Is that a "verigated" leaf? And if so, what does that mean, the white on it?

10 years ago

Yes this is a variegated leaf. The variegated part of the leaf is the pale parts of the leaf. There are some leaves that have a lot of white patches, with little chlorophyll left. These plants I've been told tend not to thrive well because of the lack of chlorophyll.