Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nica13_gw

Help, please (trumpet creeper)

nica13
16 years ago

Can it be killed? :(

I never planted it, I knew better with a very small yard, But some-one that lived here before clearly thought it would be a good idea, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! (grrrrrrrr.....)

For 3 years I have pulled, plucked, dug, sprayed, jumped up & down on, swore at, weed blocked and pouted to the garden fairies all efforts have failed. I have this stuff everywhere,in my rose bed, coming up thru the deck, between the pavers in the front walk, and now it's starting to eye-up my pepper plants ....

HELP Please

Comments (13)

• ARUM
    16 years ago

I think it's time for you to start loving Trumpet Creeper. :) Arum

• nica13
    Original Author
    16 years ago

NO NO NO (stomping feet and sticking out bottom lip)

There has to be a way, because I know there is no way I can learn to love it, at least not in this yard.

• ARUM
    16 years ago

Well, then I hope you have some extra cash stashed away somewhere, because you need to call in the BIG dogs. :)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

A few gallons of gas and a match but it would still probably live : ( Someone suggested a product called Vine-X. It did seem to work on some of the plants, unlike Round-up but there are just too many runners. After 8 years of trying to erradicate it I've finally learned to live with the damn vine and really do enjoy the blooms. I just try to keep it contained in one area (ha ha). I have them growing up a couple 20' spot light posts along with Amethyst Falls wisteria. It's not bad because the Trumpet vine blooms after the wisteria flowers fade. I (actually DH) has to get up on a ladder to pick off the seed pods high up on the posts before they ripen :(
    Karyn

• maidinmontana
    16 years ago

You could try pouring boiling water on the ones that are popping up where you don't want them. It won't go all the way to the main root but it will keep the stuff from showing where you don't want it to show. Just a thought, I have never grown it before and I did post about this, but sounds like I have an annual of some kind that looks like trumpet creeper.

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Nica, good luck. My old neighbors in NYC are still cursing me for planting one when I was 17, that was almost 30 years ago, it's still popping up in their gardens over 100 feet from where it was originally planted. The best you may be able to do is just continue to pull it as it sprouts and hope the roots will eventually exhaust themselves, maybe even in your lifetime!
    Maid, the vine you have tecoma is a gorgeous vine and can be kept in a pot over the winter indoors. After you posted, I thought it looks like campsis but just a little off and went out and looked for it, thanks to you I now have another plant to try to overwinter! LOL

Ah, I love the garden...

• r-tist
    16 years ago

Twenty Mule Team BORAX will kill it, but be very careful where you put that stuff because most likely NOTHING will grow there again for about 15 years! You just sprinkle it on pretty thick and water it down a little. Too much water will dilute it and spread it around to other plants, so just a spray of water.

• deeg
    16 years ago

What the heck is a Trumpet Creeper?

Dee

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Dee,
    it's campsis radicans, a beautiful nightmare of a vine/creeper.

• sunita_fleuriste
    16 years ago

Wow I was just considering planting this on my fence...will it be this problematic in zone 4??

S

• deeg
    16 years ago

Does anybody have a picture of it?

Thanks,
    Dee

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Sunita you have to check on the hardiness, it actually may not be a problem in your zone. I think you are on the limit of it's hardiness but please research either here or on g oogle.
    Dee, just do a search on here for trumpet vine, there are plenty of posts with photos. It has very pretty orange,red, or yellow flowers.

• sunita_fleuriste
    16 years ago

It s supposed to be hardy to zone 4...I spoke to my nursery guy about it and he says that it will need a lot of protection over winter in the beginning and wil be "marginal" in this zone....meaning it wouldn t flower that often....

S

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling