Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Madame Galen Trumpet Vine Tree

Posted by molly3573 ma (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 11:20

I have read and read on this site, and I just can't decide. Every day, I drive past a MG trumpet vine that is now a tree. It is so beautiful, I just love it. someone left great instructions on training them into trees, but there are so many warnings about how invasive it can be that I'm a little scared. I'd love to hear from some folks that have sucessfully trained them into trees....Also, I live in Massachusetts, so maybe the climate here helps control them a little?
Thanks to all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Madame Galen Trumpet Vine Tree

Also, everyone is talking about how invasive it is, yet I also hear that anything with deet or any bug killer will do the vine in, so I don't quite understand why they are so hard to control?

o

They spread from underground runners and seeds.

o

I have heard the advice to plant it out in the middle of your lawn on a pole to train it into a tree/shrub type plant. Then you mow all around it which pretty much takes care of all the little sprouters. As long as it isn't near your house or other structure I would go for it. I have seen them bloom when they are grown this way and they are gorgeous. Madame Galen is supposed to be more well behaved than the stright species anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here