Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suseart

New Bloom on Mystery MG

suseart
14 years ago

Hi all,

Yesterday I posted a link to six pics of my newest mystery morning glory. It had a strange pink spot on a petal. Then this morning I got another bloom. I've added five pics of this second bloom to the pics from yesterday of the first. I'm leaning to Heavenly Blue now.

-Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Second Bloom on MG

Comments (10)

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Susan, It looks like heavenly blue to me as well. It appears that your blooms are having a problem opening for some reason that only mother nature can explain.

I see your zone is 10. have you had some unusually cool temps at night, cooler than normal?

Do you remember what shape the seeds where that you sowed for this particular MG? Where the seeds sort of an oval type shape.

I had similar type blooms from heavenly blue last autumn and this is a quote from Ron, in answer to my question about it. Not sure if the answer would apply to yours completely. On the other hand if you have had some cooler than normal temps then it might apply.

"The Ipomoea tricolor Heavenly Blue can often show signs of impaired pigmentation along with some possible tissue damage to the delicate corolla membrane when the temperatures drop...the corolla can have difficulty opening and the bloom tips usually get the 'frostbite' an result in the usual blue pigmentation being replaced by the look of the 'frostbitten' fuchsia...the same color can appear if the tissue has the upper layer 'torn' during difficult openings or otherwise sustains any damage...I see it as part of the general color changes that Autumn brings..."

These are pics of my heavenly blue last fall doing a similar thing to yours.

Fran

• suseart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fran, no our nights have been in the low 60's lately, and up to around 100 in the afternoons.

You're right, yours sure do look like mine. I have been trying to figure out what is making some of mine not open all the way too. Most of mine do. My soil is Al's mixture over in the container forum, and I have a slow release fertilizer in all the pots. As a test I did put Miracle grow in one pot and put the same MG in that one as another with the Tapla mixture (Al's name). I did have a much slower growth in the miracle grow. Other than that everything is the same from pot to pot.

As for the seed shape, I'm not sure because I had a packet of mixed seeds that I soaked and then grew in peat pots and put outside later, and they were all labeled the same "mixed MGs"

I do think it's Heavenly Blue now though, and that is one of my favorite MGs. Thanks for the help!

-Susan

• suseart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fran, no our nights have been in the low 60's lately, and up to around 100 in the afternoons.

You're right, yours sure do look like mine. I have been trying to figure out what is making some of mine not open all the way too. Most of mine do. My soil is Al's mixture over in the container forum, and I have a slow release fertilizer in all the pots. As a test I did put Miracle grow in one pot and put the same MG in that one as another with the Tapla mixture (Al's name). I did have a much slower growth in the miracle grow. Other than that everything is the same from pot to pot.

As for the seed shape, I'm not sure because I had a packet of mixed seeds that I soaked and then grew in peat pots and put outside later, and they were all labeled the same "mixed MGs"

I do think it's Heavenly Blue now though, and that is one of my favorite MGs. Thanks for the help!

-Susan

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

here's a pic of what seeds look like from the tri color morning glory group of MG. Heavenly blue is one of the tri color morning glory.
    Maybe with the pic you will recognize the seeds

Fran

• suseart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I definitely planted at least one that was that shape and color, but others were light colored and large, some more like Indica- roundish. The mixed ones were from Susan T., and she loves blue, so I am guessing that many that she sent were blue.

-Susan

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Tri color, including heavenly blue can be both the dark black and the light tannish color. Don't know why they can be both colors, but they can.

I believe you are looking at heavenly blue in those pics, and it may be the dramatic difference in the daytime vs night time temps that is affecting the color and ability to open.

Fran

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Tri color, including heavenly blue can be both the dark black and the light tannish color. Don't know why they can be both colors, but they can.

I believe you are looking at heavenly blue in those pics, and it may be the dramatic difference in the daytime vs night time temps that is affecting the color and ability to open.

Fran

• suseart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The seeds for the Tricolor were in with a bunch of Japanese from Susan T., hehe, so I have been having her look at the pics to see if she remembers ordering them. In the case of these, she doesn't think they are necessarily Heavenly Blue because of the pronounced star, but I can't think of anything else they could be (not that I'm Ron or some kind of expert, mind you). I do think the fact that these MGs are having to go through a 40 degree change in temp every day might be a factor, good point!

-Susan

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Susan, I'm not Ron either or Emma or Eyes, but have a few thoughts on this bloom.

I still think it is basically heavenly blue.

BUT, I think it a heavenly blue that has a bit of mutation in it.

Heavenly blue is a tri color morning glory and the following MG of the tricolor are all stable mutations of heavenly blue.

flying saucer huge blooms with streaks of blue on whitish blue blooms
    blue star light blue with darker blue star and yellow throat, star similar to the pics you are showing
    pearly gates pure white large bloom
    wedding bells large lavender flower

I personally think what you are looking at your bloom is a heavenly blue that has mutated back with some of the pronounced star of the blue star (what I call the "real blue star" as there are seeds being sold by a commercial seed company called blue star and they are not the "real blue star"), but your blooms has retained most of the color of the heavenly blue including the pronounced yellow throat and color of heavenly blue.

Heres a picture of a true real star morning glory. notice the darker blue star in contrast to the light blue of the bloom, also see the yellow throat of the bloom but not the pronounced yellow throat of your pic or of the heavenly blue that I have posted.

You may find that when your temps become more stable from day to night that your blooms return to a more normal heavenly blue that what you have. Or they may stay the same.

Either way, I would mark the vines of the blooms you posted, collect seeds and grow them out next year. Will be interesting to see if they bloom the same next year.

Fran

• suseart
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fran, I will definitely have everything from this year marked, as I'm already keeping track of pics, info from this forum for each flower, and other info from the sources I got them from. I appreciate all the time you've spent on this, thank you!

-Susan

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022