Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground Nut; Apios americana.

Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 11:39

I'm growing one of these from seed and would like any information on it before planting in the yard.
Especially if it's invasive and hard to get rid of.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground Nut; Apios americana.

Ruth, I grow it in a 25-gallon pot and have to cut it back constantly. I only grow it to harvest seeds for trading. The flowers are insignificant, imho. If it gets out of control, cut it off and hit it with Roundup.

o

Kay I can't believe that you think the flowers are insignificant. I think they're beautiful and actully grow it for the blooms. It's also a host plant for skipper butterflies. I have it both in the garden and in a large container. It can get kind of out of control in the yard but I have deep barriers in the garden to keep it from escaping. Why bother growing it from seed? It's so much easier to start it from a tuber and they reproduce like mad underground. The tubers are edible and I might try cooking some this fall. They are supposed to be similar to a potato.
Photobucket

o

Karyn, let me re-phrase my statement:

In MY yard, the blooms are insignificant - they are sparse and about the size of my pinky finger nail. I had no idea they had tubers. People ask for the seeds and I often have them - again, the only reason I grow it.

o

I'm surprised they are so sparse. I grow mine in very poor soil but I do give them quite a bit of water. Most of the tubers are marble size and towards the ends of the roots but there's several good size tubers close to the base of the plant. I think those are the ones you are supposed to eat. I have't tried them yet. I use the smaller tubers start new plants. They were a staple food of many of the native Americans.

o

Hello All,
I have ordered ground nut tubers to plant in my garden, which is beside a creek. I am hoping that they do well, but I have one problem, MOLES! I have tilled up the spot where I am going to plant the tubers and they love to forage through newly turned ground searching for grubs and other insects. At least that is what I've heard. I found a tunnel leading to and from my sage plant which also a perrenial. I also heard that moles do not eat plants but can destroy their root system by the burrowing that is done in search of food. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on this? Will the moles eat my tubers?

Thanks,
Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here