Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyofdragons

What would you plant against this fence?

ladyofdragons
12 years ago

Hello folks, I need some advice if you'd bee so kind. I'm very new to gardening and am continually second guessing my self! I have a length of fence, about 8 feet, that I'd like to put a trellis and vine against. I have a narrow bed available so I can plant in-ground.

Ideally I want something evergreen, with red/orange or red/yellow flowers. If it had pleasant fragrance and/or attracted hummers/butterflies that would be even better. I am zip 94550, which I believe is zone 9b. The fence faces west, but is on my back patio so it gets late morning to mid afternoon sun. Here's a picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladyofdragons/5844238712/in/set-72157622983247616

I have Blood Trumpet Vine that I thought I could prune (Distictis buccinatoria) but now I am thinking it will just be too much to control? (And possibly not even flower for me during the time I'm living here the next ~5 years?)

I love the idea of a Honeysuckle, so I am considering Dropmore Scarlet (Lonicera x brownii), but will it be evergreen in my climate? (winter nights sometimes get below freezing, occasional frost)

Any other suggestions? This fence is what we see from our family room and kitchen, so I would love the view to be pretty!

Thank you in advance! Cheers,

~Sarah

Comments (4)