Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alieliza

Morning glories and Moonflower poisonous to dogs??

alieliza
17 years ago

I have started morning glories and moonflower from seed. I have them growing in pots, and hope to have them climb up the lattice around my deck. I do own a dog, however, and have come across the info that they are toxic to animals.

I know that there are many toxic plants.

Has anyone ever had a problem with their animals becoming sick from the morning glories or moonflowers?

Comments (11)

• gw:mrs_micki
    17 years ago

I to also asked this question and yes they are very dangerous and toxic to animals and humans. I know when you buy packages of these seeds there is a warning label on the front of the packages.Some say that Clematis is also toxic, which I'm not to sure about this either because I give my dogs rescue remedy and it contains clematis.

• alieliza
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There are many lists on the internet of toxic plants. Here is one from the ASPCA.

I know they are toxic, I was just wondering if anyone has had some experience with it, bad or good, that they can share.

Here is a link that might be useful: ASPCA toxic plants list

• alieliza
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is sort of what a figured. After talking to my dad about (a man whose opinion and advice I value very highly) who is also a big plant and dog person, my mind was put to ease as well.

He said I should be concerned if I were feeding it to my dog.
    He has grown Rhodedendron (a plant listed as deadly on the ASPCA sight) for as long as I can remember, with many animals running around. There has never been a problem. We will not be leaving our dog out there unsupervised, nor will he be out there long enough to be bored and start doing some destructive chewing.

There are so many things in this world that are toxic, just about everything if you ask me! This should probably not be a concern of mine.

Thanks!

• gw:mrs_micki
    17 years ago

Thanks Ron!That is good to know. Have some not nice neighbors next store and want to vine so I have something nice to look at when in my backyard.Just don't want to hurt my babies.

• Megan_e_2006_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a nice morning glory growing in my window well. There had been a wild bird in there for 5 days. I left it in there because it's mother and father had been feeding it still. One morning I looked to see if it had flown out yet. The bird was acting really strange. It's head was hanging down, it was walking weird, and seemed drunk. Someone jokingly mentioned maybe it ate a berry or something and is drunk. Therefore, I looked up morning glory and it said the seeds have a neurological toxin that is dangerous to animals and children. Not sure about a dog or cat, but this bird injested some.

• dogperson1975
    11 years ago

Thank you RON :)
    We raise border collies and years ago planted morning glories around the fences of our yards (this was before the talk of them being poisonous). They are pretty to look at and they provide much needed shade and they handle the midwestern heat pretty well. We have never had any of our dogs touch the morning glories.

Question though, we have many other types of plants throughout the 49 acres...we also have a lab (farm dog) that roams around. I know we have Foxglove planted, what part of those is most dangerous and how dangerous is it?? They can be transplanted to the enclosed garden if needs be. We also have Azaleas planted. Anyone know anything about those?

Thanks!!

• Brad Edwards
    11 years ago

I have had kids eat sweet potato vine a couple of times, though it was just a couple bites of leaf, nothing at all happened. I have seen rabbits and deer eat it as well, granted I haven't seen any side affects as they come back for it.

Its in the morning glory family. I am sure some parts are more toxic than others, I have heard the seeds can be highly toxic and am just guessing but maybe the roots are toxic as well.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    11 years ago

oceandweller - Sweet Potato (which is Ipomoea batatas) is completely safe to eat the leaves and roots raw in fact all species is series Batatas (those species that are so closely related to I.batatas that they are grouped into an official taxonomic classification known as a series) are known to have leaves and roots which are safe to eat , although some of the 'wilder' species roots may give you the 'runs'...

The leaves are often used raw in salads or covered in a batter and fried into fritters.

The roots can be eaten raw, although it is best to cook them because of anti-trypsin factors which will impede the digestion of proteins.

The immature seedpods of Ipomoea alba and Ipomoea muricata (which contain immature seeds) are eaten frequently in Asia and not just as a famine food.

I would agree that unless you are deciding to use the seeds as per traditional native medicinal purposes , that generally it is not advisable to eat the seeds, even then there are few (!) (if any) species that have seeds that would be considered as truly toxic (life threatening) and only after eating them over a prolonged period of time.

The Fact is that the vast majority of the toxicity attributed to Morning Glory species is hyped-up hysterical nonsense...including what most poison control centers have listed...and if you were to ask for the professional peer reviewed literature studies to back up their position on MG species , they would NOT be able to provide it , because there aren't any...(!)

Please learn to use the professional literature search offered by the National Library of Medicine to help separate Fact from Fiction...
    Please look up whatever species you would like to hang a 'bad boy' sign on and if you find something in the serious peer reviewed literature be sure to let us all know and be sure to cite the exact document details so we can see it for ourselves...

Always willing to stand up for Fact versus Fiction , unless the fiction is illuminating / entertaining enough...jokes, movies, speculative theoretical physics, etc.,

best regards,

Ron

P.S. - The link to the ASPCA list of toxic plants provided by member
    alieliza on Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 21:58
    in a previous post is no longer working , so here is the updated link
    http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants
    (scrape the above address - highlight ,copy and paste into your browser address bar and hit enter / go)

Get ready to remove most of whatever plants are growing anywhere near your area of concern...

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Glories and toxicity - What's the Story Morning Glory (?!) - separating Fact from Fiction

• Crystal Church
    3 years ago

poison ☠️ unlike you I didn’t ask first. My dog is extremely uncomfortable and I’ve spent $500 so far at the vet to make her comfortable. please don’t ever risk this plant with your dog.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Yes, threads like this about the potential toxicity of garden plants to domestic pets come up on these forums all the time. Rarely is it ever a concern. I have gardened with both dogs and cats all of my gardening life (50+ years) and with plants far more toxic than morning glories. With a trained and supervised pet, there is really NO concern at all! Mine have never been specifically trained to avoid plants - they do so on their own. They are not at all high on their list of interests or any desire to consume and they are most often unsupervised as well.

btw, there are far more plants that offer some sort of toxicity than those that do not. If you avoid anything which may be toxic, you will have a very restricted and boring garden!!