Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit on blood-red trumpet vine?

Posted by carawilson none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 12:38

I have a blood-red trumpet vine (Distictis buccinatoria) that has two fruits on it that look exactly like tomatoes. Are these edible? Nothing I've found on this plant says anything about its fruit. I've had it for years and this is the first time it has produced fruit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit on blood-red trumpet vine?

Do you have a picture of the vine in bloom?

I don't think these fruits belong to the Distictis buccinatoria, but are more likely from a Passiflora. The blooms on you vine would give us a clue as to what it is.

o
RE: Fruit on blood-red trumpet vine?

I have briefly tried to find pictures of the fruit of this plant without success other than the information that it is ellipsoid and obtuse at both ends.

Looking carefully at your photo it appears to me that the stem of that bunch of fruit is not actually attached to the vine. How closely have you examined it? I believe the resemblance to tomatoes is because they are tomatoes. Someone or something has hung them in your vine. Check if they are actually attached. Rub the calyx and sniff - if it smells of tomato its tomato.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here