Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what are these vines?

Posted by Lola1987 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 13:33

Hi there,
I have recently moved into a new house and there are vines all over my front garden. I am not much a gardener, and I have no idea what they are, or how to remove them. It is starting to grow into neighbouring gardens and causing problems.
Please help!
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what are these vines?

It's hard to tell, but it looks like Antigonon leptos.

o
RE: what are these vines?

Lolo1987 is in the UK so I am afraid that that is unequivocally Calystegia sepium, Hedge Bindweed. I fervently advise you not to attempt to plant anything in your front garden until it is entirely eradicated. You can pull off as much as possible and then you will need to dig over the ground with a fork removing every little piece of root you can find. I would do this repeatedly until the Autumn. If it is then clear you can plant up your front garden. You might be tempted to use weed killer but although it will knock it back a bit it will not kill it entirely and it will be back unless you absolutely blast it repeatedly.

Some people here might suggest covering the ground with cardboard or black plastic - these are people who have never dealt with bindweed!

If you are tempted to plant before it is gone you will have it for ever.

Your neighbours look as if they have a nice garden and they will thank you heartily if you get rid of the Bindweed as it is probably going next door too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedge Bindweed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here