Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing clematis on cedar trellis

Posted by totos.mom 6 SoCentral PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 13:55

Newbie question here. Although I am not new to gardening, I am not accustomed to growing flowers in so much sun (southern exposure in zone 6). I had my hubby build me a cedar trellis to support two climbing roses and three clematis vines. I was planning on weaving the clematis through the trellis but, now I'm thinking that might not work. Should I make other provisions for the clematis vines which appear to be twiners ("Perle d'Azur")? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: our new trellis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing clematis on cedar trellis

Your link leads to a log-in page ....? Clematises climb by wrapping their petioles (leaf stems) around things. If the trellis has pieces that are small enough that the leaf petioles can wrap around them, the clematis will climb. If the roses are close to the clematises, the clematises will use the roses canes to climb if the trellis pieces are too large.

The clematis forum is probably a better place to ask clematis questions

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis forum

o

Thanks, Woodyoak. I'm still trying to figure out how to post photos here. Can you point me to a "how to" page? The forum help page wasn't very clear ... well, not to me at least.

OK, I'll head on over to the clematis forum. Thanks again.

o

If you do a search, you will find lots of threads asking the same thing re how to post pictures. You obviously have the first step - an account with a photo hosting site. You now just have to figure out which line of code for your picture that you want to post will get it to appear here. The easy way may just be trial and error - copy what you think is right; do a preview of the post; if the picture doesn't show in the preview, you got the wrong code so erase it from the post and try another one! Once you figure out which one works from your site, you're 'off to the races'... :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here