Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine suggestions for this awesome trellis

Posted by juanh 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 23, 09 at 14:10

Any suggestions on what kind of vine to use for this trellis? Most likely, it will be in the pictured location which gets morning sun, then gets shaded in the afternoon by the wall. Winter temperatures could dip into the high 20s, so if I end up using a vine that's frost sensitive, I was thinking of plating it in a pot, and then wack it considerably to bring it in doors for the winter, or just leave it and replace it the following year if it doesn't make it.

My plan is to cut out a square from the deck, then cover it with the base plate shown, and then put the vine in a pot under the base plate and have it climb up the trellis through the hole on the base plate.

Photobucket

Your suggestions on what kind of vine to use will be greatly appreciated. Ideally, I would like something that's long-blooming and won't overwhelm the trellis.

I was thinking of a blue Dawn morning glory, but will this trellis be too small for it, and will it bloom in a morning sun location?

Any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine suggestions for this awesome trellis

Ohhhh, I see a Manettia vine growing there! I have one and it is always in bloom. Mine is in shade all day long and is such a delicate and pretty plant. Read the information cited below and see if you like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manettia vine

o

Hi
If you're into blue ,maybe a "blue pea vine" Clitoria ternata.?? Comes in single and double forms and also white. Flowers are not just blue but a deep cobalt blue. Double form looks like miniature roses. Unlike most tropical vines it's not rampant and is easily confined . It does tend to seed but easily removed.
I love the unusal color.. May be cold intolerant but easily grown from seed. gary

o

Juanh: Your thread title is very appropriate. That is a beautiful trellis!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here