Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belleh1979

need suggestions for trellis vine

BelleH1979
12 years ago

I would love to get some suggestions. I want to cover the top of my carport with a thick vine. The root would be in shade, but the plant would be in sun. The vine would start growing up a post and I would like it to spread out to cover the top of the car port. Not sure how big the carport is but it's a small one that one car will fit under. The top of the car port is solid fiberglass but I'm hoping it would host a plant similar to what a pergola would. I would appreciate any suggestions. I have been trying to figure out something to do with this ugly car port for 1 1/2 years.

Comments (7)

• Ament
    12 years ago

Up the post and across the fiberglass you may want to suspend chicken wire. On the post, for support, on the fiberglass to raise the vine up off the actual fiberglass, provide airflow and protect both plant and fiberglass. I have a suggestion, Just not sure of the name of the vine. My neighbor has a lovely light green vine growing along her garage, it is nearly over the top of her garage. She rips parts and pieces off it all the time. I'll ask her and come back to let you know what it is, it has white flowers on it.

~Tina Marie

• BelleH1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Tina Marie! That sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Thanks also for the chicken wire suggestion. Hopefully whatever this vine is that your neighbor has will do OK as a perennial in my zone 5B. After doing some research yesterday, I think Sweet Autumn Clematis would work too. I look forward to hearing back! Thanks again!

• Ament
    12 years ago

I found a vine even better Belle, The one across the road has inky dinky white flowers. But *this* is spectacular. In fact, Once I can convince hubby to build a cover for my deck this is what I will be getting. A Tidal Wave Clematis Vine and here is a clicky for where I found it. You might find it elsewhere, this is just the first place I found it. ;)

The vine across the road, it's leaves are a real pale green, with white flowers, that are tiny. I'm not sure that's a the best choice really. But if that's what you want, I will go knock on Sheryl's door. I just haven't seen her out and about is all.

~Tina Marie

Here is a link that might be useful: Clicky Blue pretty

• Ament
    12 years ago

I was just thinking Belle, maybe, if you have a way to plant one clem on one side and one clem on the other side, they would meet and crisscross each other at the top. Or you could twine them together and over the top from the one side, that blue with the white would be beautiful! Just a thought.

And I'm debating on moving my current clem. It's in the back yard, along the deck, not nearly so vigorous a climber. I've a shepherds hook out front that I hang a bird feeder off of. I'd have to wrap chicken wire around it for the clem to climb of course, but seeing some of the images people post it would eventually be so pretty climbing it. My clem is a fireworks. Just a young one yet. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:608302}}

• BelleH1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for the suggestion. So you would suggest a Sweet Autumn on one side and a Tidal Wave on the other side?

• Ament
    12 years ago

I love the tidal wave, it's gorgeous. Both clems are hardy for our zones, they both will climb swiftly once established. So yes, I'd get them both. Just remember, it will take time for them to cover it.

I was just thinking, do this, since a car port is long enough for a vehicle, place one tidal wave, then one Sweet Autumn on one side, then go to the other side, plant one sweet autumn, then a tidal wave. You see what I'm seeing? Then you place the chicken wire up high enough to hold the plants, for the first couple of yrs but not be stuck permanent you know? I'd also check to find out what sort of growing group these two clems are. I didn't check.

Some growing groups you just pinch off the newest growth, Some hard prune down to 8-10 inches. You will need to check, but since you want to cover the car port, It's going to take a couple of yrs. You have to prune the first couple of yrs to get root growth. So your clems will survive. :) So if you want to do this *right* Prune the first couple of yrs, then worry about the mesh wiring up over the car port.

Sound good Belle? :)

~Tina Marie

• BelleH1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great advise Tina Marie! Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I think those two clems would be gorgeous so that is probably what I will go with. Plus, from what I've read, both can be planted in the fall so I have plenty of time to go out and buy these plants. Thanks again!