Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flossieann

Unknown Vine

flossieann
14 years ago

Hello - could someone please identify this vine? Thank you!

Comments (8)

• eristal
    14 years ago

Wow! That is a beautiful Passiflora. I am curious, are the leaves just enormous or are the flowers really tiny? It's fairly positively in the Passiflora subgenus of the genus Passiflora, and I would wager it's in the Stipulata supersection. But, I can't identify it exactly.

I collect Passifloras, and this is very intriguing to me. Is this in your yard or in the wild? Did you buy it or did it just appear? I think it is most likely a hybrid, but it is still very cool.

Would you be willing to send me a sample? I have many plants, more than just Passifloras, and would be happy to send you a rooted plant or many cuttings for a few good cuttings of this.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Eric Wortman

• eristal
    14 years ago

Okay, Crystal just informed me that she thinks it is a Passiflora incarnata (aka 'Maypop'). I do know that these have extremely variable flowers, but the only one that we own that has bloomed is the 'alba' variety, which is pure white.

Though this is a pretty common Passiflora, I would still be interested in obtaining some. I think it has very nice color banding that would make for some nice hybridization possibilities.

Thanks,
    Eric

• flossieann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the ID. It's definitely not a hybrid, it just appeared in with my other plants last year, then popped up again this year. I'll be happy to send you whatever I can so you can start your own but how does one do that with a vine? I understand how to do it with cuttings but I've never done it with a vine. Don't be mislead, I took this photo and was surprised myself at how big it looked so I measured and the blooms are 2.5 inches across and the leaves are 4 to6 inches long and the leaf clusters measure 5 to 6 inches wide. I have nothing to judge by because I've never had one before, I was guessing it was a passion flower vine but I didn't know. Now I know its botanical name I can do more research and I thank you for that. If you can tell me how to send pieces of it I will gladly share. I see you're in zone 9 (Florida?)so it should grow beautifully there and if you wish to reciprocate you can send me any cutting that you think might be unusual, but that's up to you. Send your address and tell me how to do it so that they get to you in good shape and I'll put them on their way. I'm in south Ga so it shouldn't take long.

• eristal
    14 years ago

If it "popped" back up, and you live in south Ga, it is definitely a Passiflora incarnata.

I'll email you more info.

Eric

• suseart
    14 years ago

My mother had a "passion flower" as she called it when I was growing up. She used to like to tell me about the symbolism of each part of the plant, and how it related to the crucifixion of Christ. Here is a link telling of the symbolism.

-Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Symbolism of Passiflora incarnata

• flossieann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Susan, I never think about the symbolism of plants although I know there is a vast and impressive amount of folklore on the subject. It's a different point of view and as such - thought provoking. I appreciate the input and hope you have a great week.

• annabelle13
    14 years ago

Great photo! This grows wild all around my yard -it climbs the house! My husband mows and weed-eats it where it is in the way! I sell cut flowers at markets and the vines are wonderful in flower arrangements - long lasting and very classy. I float the flowers like gardenias for personal use, but they only last a day or so cut. (Nearly everyone we have given seeds to, says they are weeding it out of places where they don't want it after a year or two because it reseeds so rampantly!). Enjoy it...just keep an eye on it.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

The foliage looks like it could be incarnata but the flower doesn't look like any incarnata that I've ever seen. I didn't realize that the incarnata blooms were that variable.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH