Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crsled76

Trumpet Vine Question

crsled76
11 years ago

I planted two trumpet vines in clay pots on both sides of my 2 level deck. This is the 2nd summer I have had them. During a recent inspection of the plants (bc they weren't blooming) I noticed that the root system established into the ground through the bottom hole of the pot. After reading a bunch of horrible stories about these vines taking over everything (which i didnt know before planting) and noticing the vine embedding itself into the wood posts of my deck I decided to remove it. I live in a townhouse and by no means want this thing ruining anyone's structure. I was able to pull up what I assume is most of the root system. There were areas where it was thin but spread far. I dug down to trace roots that broke off and they kept breaking so I'm now unsure what to do or if it will even come back. I only had one vine spring up where it wasn't supposed to over the past 2 years but even though it's only been a short time and it was in a pot I'm concerned about it coming back. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments (2)

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I think you can be certain it will come back if there are still roots in the ground. Roundup is good to spray on any vines you see - it will kill them in about a week.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Or continue your excellent shovel work. Sounds like you're almost there. Just keep an eye out for sprouts.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES