Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

need a climber

cateyanne
15 years ago

Looking for advice from people in the know. I lost an old climbing rose this year. It was in a prominent place next to my side entrance, and very visable to the street. I don't want to replace it with another rose, we have terrible JB's around here and I'm tired of fighting with them.

I have a brick house, and the space is entirely covered with trellis.

It is a SW facing wall. shade in the morning, but lots of sun. gets really baked in the evening.

Anyone have a suggestion? I'd like a fast climber that flowers. This huge trellised area is screaming to be covered.

thanks, Cathy

Comments (6)

• User
    15 years ago

Honeysuckle for fast coverage, I have native trumpet honeysuckle.
    The humming birds love them! Brilliant flowers.
    Brushwood nursery sells native honeysuckle.
    Clematis is gorgeous!
    Takes a while longer for real growth to cover your trellis.
    They love trellis though. Long lived, many colors.
    They both climb with little training and no JB problems.
    GOod Luck!

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I thought the area would be too sunny for a clematis, is that wrong? how slow of a grower is it?

• User
    15 years ago

Cateyanne,
    you can check on the clematis forum,
    but 3 years til you have a good amount of growth to cover the trellis.
    clematis takes at least that to get established.
    I have 2, and hopefully, next year I will see some real performance from them. (they are 2 years old this year)
    If you don't like the idea of honeysuckle, why not try some annuals growing on the trellis besides clematis, since clematis takes awhile to establish itself, an annual will look nice in the meantime and they grow fast.
    Hyacin bean, beautiful, will grow nice for your trellis along with clematis, just a suggestion.
    You can pick a new annual every year if you want.
    You can also plant a tropical, dig it up and the end of the season in the fall, and put it in a cool place over the winter. Mandevilla is beautiful and grows fast!
    Good Luck to you!

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love Mandevilla, I had not thought of that.
    What about a Wisteria?
    Cathy

• michi81
    15 years ago

I have White Morning glory that grew really fast. If you want some cuttings/rooted runners let me know and I will see what I can do. Let me know what you have. i know this is not the exchange forum but still get back at me.

{{gwi:28509}}

{{gwi:53353}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:44214}}

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the offer michi, that is very generous of you! :) I decided to go with the wisteria. it is a slower grower, but I bought the larger size and it will be a more permanent fixture, hopefully it will do well.
    I love your white morning glory, it is just BEAUTIFUL!
    Cathy