Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good vines for growing w/trees (other than clematis)

Posted by mrs_ravenholt Seattle (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 07 at 15:48

hi, I have a large lot by wetlands and a few trees that I'd like to grow flowering vines up. I love Clematis though already have more than 10 in my garden so I want something else. I have a wall of arborvaite that's huge - probably 30' high and 60' wide. I also have some evergreens and ash trees too that I'd like to have flowers on.

What is your experience with growing vines on trees? I'd love to hear your suggestions please. I am considering trumpet vines for their hummingbird appeal and jasmin for the scent, though am concerned they might choke my trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good vines for growing w/trees (other than clematis)

Mrs.
If you're considering the campsis trumpet vines, please reconsider, they will in time take down your arborvitae and spread to the ends of your property! They are also not the hummingbird magnet the companies that sell them make them out to be. They get an occasional visit here from the hummers but not the swarms you'd be led to believe.
Other than climbing hydrangea which would need a strong support I'd use something like passiflora incarnata, or incense. Maybe even annual vines like cardinal climer, the hummers love them here in New England.

o

• Posted by deeg z9 - St. Pete, FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 23:40

Hi Mrs Ravenholt. I don't know how well they grow in Seattle, but I've had great luck with my yellow alamanda. It's taken over my fence and grown half way up a nearby Palm tree.

They have to be trained though. They're not like vines that have suckers or climbers or whatever they're called. You can see a picture of it at the link below.

Take Care,
Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Alamanda growing like crazy!

o

• Posted by deeg z9 - St. Pete, FL (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 23:04

Hi again Mrs Ravenholt. Here's a picture of the Alamanda I referred to in the previous post:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By dgarrand, shot with PDRM5 at 2007-08-02

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here