Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What variety of native wisteria is this

Posted by cadillactaste zone 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 16:05

Though...it's the smallest bud...opening. We are anticipating storms to roll through. I grabbed a quick photo of the smallest opening up. Figuring the blooms may have a chance of being damaged. And I really would like to figure out which variety I own.

I presumed Amethyst Falls...but...I thought the bloom would be much lighter. Though...previous spent racemes stems are between 2-6". I also heard if it had a scent it would smell like cat urine. This one...has a scent...slightly fragrant...and quite pleasant. (Nothing like cat urine)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What variety of native wisteria is this

Curious if soil and habitat around it doesn't factor into some of the variations I am finding with Amethyst Falls...or...if there are other varieties of it. Some I have done a Google search on says they have a nice fragrance...some say they smell pungent like cat urine (no mistaking that scent!) others say...it has no fragrance at all. Yet all are listed as Amethyst Falls...some blooms seem pale lavender...while others seem dark purple with my search as well.

o

It has rained here,then the sun came out. I was outside picking up branches from the winds that blew through...and my neighbor was walking by...stopped and commented on this tree. She commented on the slight sweet fragrance asking if it was the tree she was smelling? I told her to go ahead and take a closer sniff of the blooms and see. She laughed out loud and declared indeed it was! When the wind blew again...you could smell a faint sweet smell.

Really wish I knew this variety. Assumed it was Amethyst Falls...but...no where do ones say it smells pleasant. I am thinking another variety it must be. For it has the small blooms/racemes that the Amethyst Falls are known for.

o

photo imagejpg1_zps464b7af8.jpg

photo imagejpg2_zpse1b69a42.jpg
Even the sucker is blooming...(plan on air layering it next year)

photo imagejpg3_zps02e91771.jpg

o

What a beautiful...floral sweet fragrance. All the neighbors are commenting. (Subtle you have to get up close to it to smell it...they noticed when admiring the small blooms.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here