Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to Kill Campsis Radicans/Red Trumpet Vine

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 16:30

I'm trying to kill a red Campsis Radicans (a trumpet vine), as this thing is popping up everywhere and trying to take over. I'm using boiling water to try and kill the shoots I see so far. We're hoping to put a lawn border, to at leas try and contain the vines, but the lawn border is about 8 inches in height. Is it possible for the vine to grow downward, to go eight inches below ground to try and reach past the lawn border and grow into the yard.

Please, any help would be fantastic. I hate this plant. :o(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to Kill Campsis Radicans/Red Trumpet Vine

I hate to say it but yes it can send runners deep underground and they can come up quite far from the original plant. Once established I think the Campsis radicans is next to impossible to eradicate. After a nuclear explosion there will still be cockroaches and trumpet vines! You can try cutting back any runners that pop up and treating the cut stem ends with a herbicide. I really don't think that boiling water will have much of an effect. I finally gave up on trying to get rid of the damn vine and now just work on containing it to the far back yard. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here