Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aseedisapromise

What kind of trellis is best for a honeysuckle?

aseedisapromise
11 years ago

DH and I bought the house we are in last August, and the people who sold it to us made a few landscaping changes before they left, like removing the Monkshood so I don't get a heart attack or something, which was disappointing somewhat because it was gorgeous, but they also planted things. One thing planted I didn't recognize until later was a honeysuckle, what turns out to be the pestiferous Japanese kind. They stuck it in between what turned out to be two David Austin climbing roses, which I like very much. Really there isn't enough room for all three things in the spot, so I plant to get the roses out of there next spring and into a better place with more room for both. So the honeysuckle smells nice, but it really grows in a not nice way, which means it tends to not touch the trellis unless it is forced and tied, but willingly wraps itself around the roses, the ladder DH attached to the back of the fence which gets near to the trellis, and tends mostly to want to spread itself across the ground like a ground cover. It does like to try to grow up the mint plants that are nearby, and part of me thinks that having the two duke it out might be okay, but I think the honeysuckle will win, and I do like my mint tea. The trellis is lattice, and that seems to be recommended in places on the web, but if it were different would the honeysuckle be more likely to grow up it? Like if the trellis was made of narrow saplings or something more like a plant it could terrorize? Also-does this plant die back any over the winter in my zone? It seemed to lose a little growth last winter, but it was obviously a late stealth planting by the previous owners. It might be more vigorous next year. Is there anything that smells nice that isn't so pushy that I can plant here in my zone? I guess the American ones don't have the nice scent, but are better behaved. Will this one reseed in other places in my yard? This might be a deal breaker. I want to pick where this kind of plant might be allowed in my yard, not have it on the loose sprouting up everywhere. Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• msbatt
    11 years ago

I recommend Round-Up, in a gallon container. (*grin*)

Japanese honeysuckle seeds around VERY freely, at least here in the South. They grow almost as vigorously as kudzu. Yes, it smells wonderful, but left unchecked it will eat your yard, your house, perhaps even your dog if he's old and slow.

• lisanti07028
    11 years ago

I'm in zone 6, and it's just as carnivorous here. Be strong and resist the fragrance - dig that puppy up while it's still small, or you'll be digging it up until your mortgage is paid up. Too bad about the monkshood.

• aseedisapromise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, So it does reseed. I was afraid of that. I was just curious because I haven't really seen many of these plants around here. Is the Japanese variety the only scented kind? Thanks!

• lisanti07028
    11 years ago

As far as I know, it is the only one with that fragrance. It's so frustrating. I have one of the sempervirens cultivars and it's a gorgeous plant, blooming from April to December, no thuggish behavior, but no scent. It does get hummingbirds, though, which is major points for me.

You could check with your local native plant society and see what species of honeysuckle is native to SD or your zone; you may get lucky and find that your local species is fragrant!

• aseedisapromise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good idea. Not sure about having a native plant society around here, though. Mostly native plants around here are evaluated as to whether or not they are palatable and/or toxic to cows. There are botanists at the college, though. I could check there. Looking online there are a few zone 5 hardiness European and hybrid honeysuckles, but they aren't AS fragrant. Also I've found that if you are in an arid area, the Japanese honeysuckle doesn't escape into natural areas, as they need the water and humidity to do so. I think I will check with the botanists. Thanks!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Lonicera japonica is not an invasive species in SD. Invasiveness is very much tempered by region or location and what may be invasive in one area may very well be a prefectly acceptable garden addition in another.

FWIW, I've grown various selections of Japanese honeysuckle over the years and none have attempted to overtake anything more than the trellis or fence they were trained on. I'm not sure what other species you may have researched but L. periclymenum, common honeysuckle or woodbine, is by far the most fragrant of any of the honeysuckles I've come into contact with. Beats the Japanese hands down and I believe it has more attractive - typically bicolored - flowers as well.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    11 years ago

I agree with gg48 re L. periclymenum and scent! I have a Late Dutch honeysuckle that has the nicest scent - and the prettiest flowers - of the honeysuckles I've grown. It doesn't broadcast the scent as far as the Japanese one did but it's a much nicer plant all round! We got rid of the Japanese one on the iron arbour in the front bed this spring. It came as a cutting a number of years ago (we weren't sure what it was) - very pretty, but way too vigorous; we had to prune it almost daily at times to keep it confined to the area we wanted to limit it to. The Late Dutch is also quite vigorous but it is growing on a chainlink fence so has more space to ramble around on.

This is what it looks like, with the neighbour's roses in the background:
    {{gwi:254092}}

Another view of the flowers just before they open:

It's main bloom is in mid-late June here but it's still producing flowers out there now...

• freki
    11 years ago

Most plants prefer growing on round things (like wire) than square things (like lattice).

oh, & KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

In UK it's traditional to let the honeysuckle climb on the roses & the combination is wonderful... that would be the periclymenum type, not the japonica.

• aseedisapromise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oooh! That is a pretty pair, woodyoak! And yes, it was European woodbine that I saw on the web. Thanks for chiming in gardengal. I think I will remove the japonica, as I really don't like how it grows. I think I will be fighting it all the time. Freki, by round I think you mean the cross section of the support bars or wires. Is that it?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?