Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Potato Vine

Posted by cakbu 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 16:51

Recently I visited my state fair (California) and in the plants exhibit they had many beautiful ornamental sweet potato vines. I am wondering about when to plant and how to treat the plants in the winter. Apparently they grow very fast; would it be too late to plant in August? Where I live we don't get many hard freezes, rarely below 30 deg; can the tubers be left in the ground over winter in these conditions?
Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Potato Vine

Plants which are already producing appreciable amount of aerial foliage are good enough to buy and use as they are right now...any growth can still be appreciated and will give them a head-start for next year...

The tubers will freeze if it gets cold enough and many people over-winter indoors or outside using a protective mulch covering...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here