Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clytostoma callistegioides Invasive?

Posted by themi 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 16:52

Hi

I want to plant a violet trumpet vine to cover a nasty chain link fence. The violet trumpet vine seems to be the answer I am looking for: fast growing and relatively easy care. Full sun. Sandy soil.

But I want to make sure this type of trumpet vine is not invasive. I have read so many horror stories about trumpet vines, and some conflicting info. I just want to be absolutely positive that this will not take over my yard if given ideal conditions.

Or if there are any other suggestions I am totally open. I might actually prefer something a bit more drought tolerant if it exists.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clytostoma callistegioides Invasive?

I haven't personally grown this variety as it's not hardy in my zone but I don't believe it's invasive like the orange trumpet vine (Campsis radicans). The Cross vine (Bignonia capreolata), which I do grow, hasn't been a problem.

o
RE: Clytostoma callistegioides Invasive?

I grow this one and it's not invasive like Campsis vine is, BUT - it grows to a MASSIVE vine before it blooms. I cut mine to the ground this past Monday - WOW - what a chore!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here