Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbumble

Does anyone LOVE his/her Wisteria?

msbumble
15 years ago

I have a freebie Wisteria which is now about 3 feet tall. I was planning to plant it on an arbor that's about 10 ft long, but I started reading this forum and, well, I'm getting cold feet. I'm willing to prune, and I do love Wisteria, but I need some encouragement from a zone 6 gardener who has grown it (as a climber) happily and without any tales of horror. Do you exist? Thanks, MsB

p.s. I always picture the Wisterias that grown from tiny patches of ground by someone's door on narrow streets in the south of France - they and the buildings seem to survive, don't they?

Comments (10)

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I'm in zone 7 and love my wisteria. I have what I believe is Amethyst Falls but it has no scent. It has a huge flush of blossoms in late spring but continues blooming until frost. During the summer there's not that many flowers at a time, maybe a couple dozen but they are so pretty. It grows fast and doesn't seem to be invasive like some other varieties. I don't have a problem with runners and it never makes any seed pods but if a branch falls to the ground it will root and start growing.
    Karyn

• greenwood85
    15 years ago

I'm considering putting Kentucky Wisteria on an arbor in my zone 6 garden, so I'll also be interested to hear the replies.

• chazparas
    15 years ago

MsBumble...
    Go for it! I love my wisteria!!!! I've got a beauty that's being trained to a standard, quite a bit of work but it looks like a water fountain when it blooms (no photos of course.) If you grow it as a vine just be careful it doesn't get under shingles, drainpipes or eaves of the house and you'll do fine. They are gorgeous, most have a nice scent, but you will have to prune.
    They are also a bit easier to get rid of than trumpet vine if you decide to.

• steve1young
    15 years ago

I love my wisteria, too. But, that's because it's an American Wisteria (Amethyst Falls). I've grown the japanese and chinese Wisterias and I've regretted it everytime. To me, they're pretty much the devil. :(

• msbumble
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your replies - it seems the American varieties bring joy and the Japanese/Chinese bring misery. This was an unnamed offshoot from someone's garden so I'm not optomistic. Is there any way to tell by the leaves, bark or growth habit which type I have? If I don't find out I'll probably train it to a standard or bonsai. Ms.B

• alexia1980
    15 years ago

I love my Amethyst Falls Wisteria!

• cateyanne
    15 years ago

Hi! I just planted an Amethyst Falls Wisteria on a NW facing wall. I thought this area got plenty of sunlight, but now I am worried because it doesn't get sun until 2pm. this area will be "hot" with sunlight until dusk. Is that enough sun? I want it to do well and was so excited to put it in. My plan is for it to climb the trellised walls, eventually climbing over the side porch roof, cascading gorgeous flowers above the entrance. "that's my plan and I'm stickin to it!" Or am I crazy? How fast will it grow?
    thanks
    Cathy

• arctictropical
    15 years ago

I've had two 'Blue Moon' american wisteria growing over a trellis bench for just three years now and have nothing but praise for them. Besides blooming on new wood at an early age, having beautiful pale blue-lavender flowers and not growing out of control like the chinese varieties, it survives in my zone 4 climate with no winter kill. The blossoms have a slight sweet fragrance as well. I also have two chinese varieties that winter killed for about 5 years in a row, but came back stronger every year and finally grew large enough vines to survive the winters the last several years. Yes, they are quite vigorous, but I love taking my frustrations out on them in the Spring and mid summer through pruning, and as long as you prune them a couple times a year, seem to be manageable. It just treat them like my fruit trees when pruning in the Spring. I understand after reading several posts, that the chinese varieties will bloom better if you prune them like a fruit tree...back to about two buds per branching vine.

Kevin

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    15 years ago

I have several chinese wisterias and have them all pruned to a standard shape (no growth on the trunks, only allow them to vine about 2 feet, they look like med-sized palm trees). Sometimes they try to vine off of the base near the roots but are severely reprimanded immediately. I'm totally strict with them, like a catholic school teacher! I had been having no luck with blooms until one of the five began blooming this spring. After pruning it twice, it is now blooming (in the hottest part of July) and the blooms are profuse.

You must prune this type almost weekly or they'll try to take over. But yes, I love them for the look they have and the blooms. Even when they don't bloom, they make my yard look like a tropical paradise because of the shape and size of the tree-types I've pruned them into.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Keith, are your Wisteria in the ground or in pots? I have one that I left in the pot, but sunk it in the ground. I just want to make sure it doesn't get underground runners like my p. Incense! Thanks.