Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeysuckle Upkeep

Posted by Amberns 8B (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 17:03

I have a Honeysuckle vine that has been on my fence since I moved to my new home its very established and I love the placement. Problem is I don't know how to maintain it....the bottom is stickly and dead looking but the top is green and healthy. It's tangled beyond help onto the fence I'm sure its beyond light pruning. Would it be ok if I cut it back tremendously in the fall? How much can I cut without killing it? I want to come back nice and bushy to keep the privacy in my garden area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeysuckle Upkeep

I don't know what kind of honeysuckle you've got, but hey, it's a honeysuckle and can take a fair amount of abuse. I went at mine (a sempervirens, about 5 years in the ground here) from underneath - cut out the oldest branches, reined it in from my neighbor's side of the fence, and was pretty ruthless about the rest. I'd say that I reduced it, overall, by half. This was in May, and it's about as big as it was before, even with the heat and no rain.
You're in Zone 8, so you can probably do this anytime, as you won't have the winter downtime.
These are tough plants; don't worry so.

o
RE: Honeysuckle Upkeep

That's great! I'll be having at those vines then. I appreciate the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here