Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Not Scarlett but any idea who?

Julia WV (6b)
12 years ago

Today my first MG opened which was suppose to be Scarlett O'Hara which I planted from seed. Surprise, surprise, it sure doesn't look like Scarlett. Any idea which one this could be?

Julia

Comments (13)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Maybe Grandpa Otts? It's pretty but watch out because it reseeds like crazy. You'll be pulling up volunteers by that bag full next summer.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think you may be right. I googled Grandpa Otts and it does look exactly like what I see here. I have more blooms that will open tomorrow so we shall see if they all bloom the same.

I contacted the seller of the seeds and attached a pic. Waiting to hear back but this is definitely not Scarlett.

Thanks for the help.
    Julia

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

I can send you Scarlett O'Hara seeds if you want?

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The second openings are the same as the first so I guess they did not send me Scarlett.:-(.

gerris2: that is very kind of you. I may take you up on your offer if the seed company I got them from can not send the right ones.

Julia

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Scarlett O'Hara planted with the Grandpa Otts would look quite pretty. If you get the seeds soon you might still have time for them to reach blooming size. The vines grow really fast, especially in the heat.

12 years ago

Let me know, the seeds I send you will be the real deal.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gerris2: I sent you an email.
    Thank you.
    Julia

• Ament
    12 years ago

Surely would be beautiful to see Scarlett O'Hare with those. Do post a pic if you get them? I've got mauve and blues from the neighbors vines that invaded my yard. Waiting for them to come up on my side this yr. Hehe I look forward to seeing your pics. Please do share. :)

Tina Marie

12 years ago

I will look for the email but I do not recall seeing a seed related email. For some reason I have been having difficulty receiving messages sent from my GW page.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    12 years ago

Joseph - I sent juliany a message via the GW mail system , although so far I haven't received any response...best to have a real e-mail visibly posted , otherwise messages may not be received...

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all:
    I just checked my email after reading ron's post and found your email Ron. It seems my email provider that I use for GW decided it was junk instead of putting it in my Inbox. This isn't the first time emails from members on GW end up in my junk folder.

gerris2: I'll send another one and look in your junk/spam folder as perhaps that is where mine are ending up when I send to you. I have a question though. Since it is pretty late in the season to start planting Scarlett, do you think the seeds would be okay to start next year?

BTW, Grandpa Otts looks fabulous with the blooms opening.
    I'll post some pics later that I took yesterday morning.
    I'm still waiting for Heavenly Blue and Moonflower to get buds.

Thanks
    Julia

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was able to snap a few pics this morning of the now identified Grandpa Ott's.

As an experiment this year and since I've not grown MG's before, I am growing my MG's in pots and then used a lightweight fencing (appears to be coated with plastic) and fastened it to cup hooks that I screwed onto the rafter tails of our pergola. When the season is over, I can take the entire vine and fencing down.

Julia

• Ament
    12 years ago

I love the pictures Julia, thank you for posting them. I plan to run chicken wire up the back fence for morning glories.

~Tina Marie