Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patsi_gw

Campsis radicans

patsi
16 years ago

Hello,

It's their 3rd year in the ground, tall and lots of green but NO flowers on my Campsis radicans.

I'm ready to pull them out of the ground and just use annuals from now on.

Anyone know the problem?

Thanks Patsi

Comments (7)

• patsi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot this....
    Picture taken June 25,2007

Still growing like crazy!
    {{gwi:1344510}}

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Good luck trying to get rid of it. I'd been trying to kill one for the past 8 years and finally gave up. Now I'm just trying to keep it in one area. It takes a few years to bloom and needs full sun or you're just going to get foliage. The flowers really are very pretty, it's just so damn invasive here.
    Karyn
    {{gwi:521367}}

• chazparas
    16 years ago

Patsi,
    Mine took about 5 years to flower, full sun. That was when I lived in NY. Do a search here for trumpet vine, you'll get a kick out of some of the posts, and it'll put fear in your heart! LOL
    I'll never plant it again no matter how beautiful I think it is.
    chaz

• maidinmontana
    16 years ago

Patsi, I posted a pic and ? on the perennial forum trying to id the plant I bought from walmart that didn't have a tag. One posted suggested it was campsis radicans, so I did a search. Some of the qualities are the same but some are still to be determined. Hee is a pic of mine, it is still in the pot and the flower isn't real clear (I'd take another one but there aren't any at the moment. I was wondering if you could send me a pic of yours even if it is just leaves so I can compare it with mine. I'm gonna go to walmart today and see if they have more and see if I can find a tag. Not that that means anything I have gotten so many flowers/plants from there and they are mislabled.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. Debi
    {{gwi:256836}}
    {{gwi:256837}}
    {{gwi:256838}}

• u2dan
    16 years ago

If this is planted ina 5 gallon bucket, do you guys think that it would control the invasiveness? I want to pant this on an ugly rusted chainlink fence along the street which is maybe 50 feet from my house. The flowers are so beautiful and i have seen some beautful vines around the area. One looks like a tree and is planted next to someones house, others are really small vines that don't look invasive at all so i dont know.
    need advice on the bucket trick! I have no problem pruning as needed too.

• chazparas
    16 years ago

u2dan
    The bucket won't contain it. If you live close to other people please consider them when planting this vine. It will eventually wind up in their gardens.

• chazparas
    16 years ago

replied about maids plant on another post, just some infor for others here. The yellow trumpet vine pictured is not a campsis, it's a tecoma, not hardy in northern zones. enjoy it but be sure to bring it inside over the winter if you want it around next year.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus