Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
evergeen climber that works with clematis

Posted by zeak 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 17:58

Hi. I have an fence arbor with clematis (prob jackmanii). I hate how bare the arbor looks while the clematis is dormant. I'd like to maintain year round coverage of the arbor with an evergeen climber that wont hurt the clematis. I really want something that stays relatively lush all winter and doesn't lose too many leaves. Any recs would be appreciated. The arbor is in partial shade. I'm in MD zone 6. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: evergeen climber that works with clematis

First, very few vines will be evergreen for you in your zone 6b. There's even a very limited number in my zone 8b! And most evergreen vines have a vigor that makes them able to coexist with other vines problematic at best.

You could consider a climbing rose. Not evergreen of course, but there will be a winter presence regardless. And clematis and climbing roses play nice together :-))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here