Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this produce more blooms on morning glory vine?

Posted by janepa Z5-6 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 17, 10 at 18:29

I did some research and know the basics of why a morning glory vine will not produce many blooms. I never had this problem until this year. The only fertilizer I have given the young vines was water soluble bloom booster. Could this be the problem? I am getting great vine growth but very few flowers? If I would 'crop' the vines at the new growth end of the vine do you think this might stimulate them to send out blooms in order to produce seeds for their future, or does this not enter in to a morning glory's plant cycle. I have checked some of the vines and I might see buds forming at the V where the leaf is on the vine, or else it is just more leaves forming.

I am really disappointed in not having Heavenly Blue blooms all over our split rail fence. In the past they have been covered, and beautiful.

Thank you. Jane

PS: My previous morning glory vines have produced seeds, but I have never had morning glory vines sprout the next spring. I wish they would. I am in central PA, zone 5/6.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this produce more blooms on morning glory vine?

ipomoea tricolor or Heavenly Blue likes cool weather. Just be patient. You will get a great show of blooms toward fall.

Karen

o

Thank you Karen. I sure hope so. We have been having temps in the 90s for weeks, in June and now July, which is unusual. We do get 90s but not for this long of a period, and it has not rained enough, either.

Jane

o

Many of mine aren't blooming heavily either, especially the Japanese varieties. Our temps have been in the upper 90's + for the past month, maybe longer. I've had to water my container MG's and all the other container plants daily. It's been a PITA!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here