Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My english ivy does NOT climb!

Posted by salut NY, NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 18:29

Help! I'm trying to get my 2- and 3-years old english ivy (containers) to climb up the terrace fence. It just doesn't, and I keep getting conflicting information about its general ability to climb.
Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My english ivy does NOT climb!

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 21:29

Try this. In my profession I have had many people say the same thing, but only due to the technique used to get the vines to climb.
If you started with a containerized vine that was a "staked" plant (or not), take it off the stake and: dig a trench at the very base of the wall or around the fence post deep enough to ONLY bury the stem of the plant and allow the leaves to remain above ground. Wrap it around the post or line the base of the wall this way. Cover the stem with a shallow layer of soil leaving the foliage sticking up.
The next time that growth occurs, the shoots will come from the bases (nodes) of the leaves along the stems that you have buried. We may be talking about a season or two here, but it will work.
This applies to English ivy, Virginia creeper, Boston ivy and others. They won't tend to attach (WELL) when left on the stakes. If they are allowed to grow UP by themselves from their nodes they will cover rapidly and climb rampantly.
Just MY experience...
hortster

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here