Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine for mesh wire fence?

Posted by pylgrym (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 18:54

Hi all, I am looking to put up a vine mainly for privacy, but also ideally that has a nice flower or fruit on a mesh wire fence, about 40 feet long. It looks like Kiwi requires a male and female, and 2 years to flower if I could keep it alive so I think that is out.

What would you suggest for Seattle climate that would grow thick enough to create privacy year round, and ideally has something else to offer? I'm open to anything. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine for mesh wire fence?

I don't know how heavy the wire might be. Some large vines could pull it down unless it's substantial. If you are looking for coverage only in summer, you could plant annual vines. Is it a sunny location?

o
RE: Vine for mesh wire fence?

• Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 16:37

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "mesh" wire fence.

Clematis won't give year round interest, but you'd get decent coverage during the growing season, takes a couple years to establish.

Climbing Hydrangea would probably be too heavy, and takes years to establish.

What about Boston Ivy - vigorous grower.

Grape vine would work too, but there is a particular way you'd want to prune it to get it to produce fruit (4-5 years later), so I'm not sure if this would give you the coverage you are looking for unless you want to sacrifice the fruit - then you just let it grow on its own.

None of these will give year round interest, but my choice would be the clematis. Type 3 Viticella clematis are wilt resistant, and you can prune them down by half after the inital bloom to get a second bloom in the fall. Polish Spirit variety gets really large. If interested, check out "clematis on the web" (it's a UK site) for more info on clems.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here