Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
American Wysteria question

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 19:31

I have an American Wysteria and some of the leaves have a reddish tinge to them and this reddish area is also a bit 'coppery' or iridescent. Is this some type of a disease? (I HAVE been spraying it with a natural soap insecticidal just to be safe....)

Tx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: American Wysteria question

Is it new growth, on the end of a "branch"?

o

No, it's not new growth. It's on pre-existing leaves...not necessarily on the end of a branch...it's pretty random.

Some leaves have a golden/yellow tinge in parts and others a coppery red tinge in parts....

Also, I thought Wysteria was a climbing/clinging vine? While some of the branches have woven themselves into the trellis, other entire branches with offshoots never wove into the trellis....they are just leaning 'against it'. But as they get bigger, they may start to hang down a bit. Should I be trying to force some of the leaves in through the trellis?

Tx.

o

Wisteria is not a clinger, it's a twiner, and sometimes you need to help the twining get started. The branches wind around each other just fine, but you do need to do some of the initial twining around the trellis.

I don't know what the different color leaves could mean - it could be a build-up of the insecticide, which you really don't need unless you have seen insects harming the plant. You might want to post a picture of the leaves in the Garden Clinic forum here on GW.

BTW, it's Wisteria with an I, not a Y.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here